How Can You Build a Crane Arm With Straws to Support a 500g Plumb Bob?

In summary, the design team is tasked with building a crane arm that can support a plumb bob of at least 500 grams at a minimum distance of 10cm from the table edge without any kinks in the straw. Only provided materials (straws, string, masses, tape) can be used and the boom can only be held at one point at table height without touching any other support. Various attempts have been made to counteract the torque of the crane arm but the current design can only support 200g. Assistance is needed to increase the weight capacity.
pierretong199

Homework Statement

I have no idea how to solve this project. Here are the requirements/details:

Your design team must build a "boom" (crane arm) that meets the following specifications:

1. The boom must support a plumb bob of at leat 500 grams a minimum distance of 10cm from the table edge. No kinks caused by the weight of the plumb bob in the straw boom are allowed (you can bend the straw as part of the design if you want).
2. No materials other than those provided (straws, string, masses, tape) are permitted
3. The design team is allowed to hold the boom to the table at one point. You may only hold your boom at table height. The boom may not touch another support (another table or the floor).

Homework Equations

No idea!

The Attempt at a Solution

We tried attaching various strings (running to a post on the table) to the end of the crane arm to counteract the torque of the crane arm from bending the straw. However, we have found that we can only support 200g using this method.

Physics news on Phys.org
We are at a loss as to how to increase the weight capacity of our design. Any advice would be greatly appreciated!

I understand the frustration that can come with a challenging project. It sounds like you have already made some attempts at solving this problem, which is great. One possible solution could be to use multiple straws taped together to create a stronger arm that can support the weight of the plumb bob. You could also try using different types of tape or reinforcing the joints with extra tape to prevent kinks in the straw. Additionally, experimenting with different angles and lengths of the boom could also help with supporting the weight. Remember to also consider the forces acting on the boom and how they can be balanced to achieve the desired result. Good luck with your project!

Related to How Can You Build a Crane Arm With Straws to Support a 500g Plumb Bob?

1. How do I get started on my physics project?

To get started on your physics project, it is important to first understand the assignment and gather all necessary materials. Review the project requirements and make a plan for how you will complete each task. If you are still unsure, reach out to your teacher or classmates for guidance.

2. What sources should I use to research my physics project?

When researching for your physics project, it is important to use reliable sources such as scientific journals, textbooks, and credible websites. Avoid using sources that are not peer-reviewed or do not have a credible author or publisher.

3. How can I ensure accuracy in my physics project?

To ensure accuracy in your physics project, make sure to double-check your calculations and use multiple sources for information. It is also helpful to have a peer or teacher review your project for any errors or inconsistencies.

4. What are some tips for writing a successful physics project?

Some tips for writing a successful physics project include explaining your methods and calculations clearly, using diagrams and graphs to illustrate your findings, and incorporating real-world examples to make your project more interesting and relatable.

5. What should I do if I am struggling with my physics project?

If you are struggling with your physics project, do not hesitate to ask for help from your teacher or classmates. You can also try breaking down the project into smaller tasks and setting a timeline for completing each one. Additionally, seeking help from a tutor or online resources can also be beneficial.