How Do You Calculate the Final Image Position in a Three-Lens System?

In summary, the homework statement is trying to find the position of an image of a small object on the axis of three thin lenses, each with a focal length of 40 cm, when the distance between the lenses is 52 cm.
MaysMrDolphin

Homework Statement

. Three thin lenses, each with a focal length of 40.0 cm, are aligned on a common axis; adjacent lenses are separated by 52.0 cm. Find the position of the image of a small object on the axis, 80.0 cm to the left of the first lens.

d=52cm between
f=40cm
d of object=80cm

Homework Equations

1/f=1/di+1/do

The Attempt at a Solution

[/B]
by the equation:
1/40cm = 1/80cm + 1/di (1st lens)

di= 80cm

52-80cm= -28cm

2nd lens
1/40 = -1/28 + 1/di

di (lens 2) = 16.47

52-16.47= 35.53cm
3rd lens

1/40 = 1/35.33+1/di

di=-302.6 ---> This is where I'm stuck, the answer is supposed to be 134 cm to the left according to the book. Even if I add 104 cm to the answer, it still doesn't come close enough. Any thoughts on this?

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
In your last calculation you used 35.33 instead of 35.53. If you use the correct value you obtained earlier, you get di = -317.94 instead. Now add the 2 lens distances (+104) and add the distance of the first object (+80), this gives you -133.94 cm. So you book just wants the distance relative to the first object. Hope this helps.

You didn't the sign convention. All distances to the left of the optical centre are taken as negative and to the right as positive. So the 80 cm to the left of the first lens that you took as [tex] d_o [/tex] should be -80 cm.

Mastermind01 said:
You didn't the sign convention. All distances to the left of the optical centre are taken as negative and to the right as positive. So the 80 cm to the left of the first lens that you took as [tex] d_o [/tex] should be -80 cm.
But it depends what convention he's using. The calculations matched the "real positive" sign convention.

Merlin3189 said:
But it depends what convention he's using. The calculations matched the "real positive" sign convention.

Can you please explain? thanks.

Real images, real focal lengths (convex lens) and real objects have positive values, virtual images, virtual focal lengths (concave lens) and virtual objects have negative values. Summarised here.
I believe there are other conventions which work. So long as you use a consistent sign convention, you can use whichever.

You might have meant, why did I think OP used this convention.

1/40cm = 1/80cm + 1/di (1st lens) real f, real object

di= 80cm real image

52-80cm= -28cm virtual object

2nd lens
1/40 = -1/28 + 1/di real f, virtual object

di (lens 2) = 16.47 real image

52-16.47= 35.53cm real object

3rd lens

1/40 = 1/35.33+1/di real f, real object

di=-302.6 virtual image

Huh, didn't notice you h
bigguccisosa said:
In your last calculation you used 35.33 instead of 35.53. If you use the correct value you obtained earlier, you get di = -317.94 instead. Now add the 2 lens distances (+104) and add the distance of the first object (+80), this gives you -133.94 cm. So you book just wants the distance relative to the first object. Hope this helps.

Thanks, I was kind of in a rush doing this homework. The prof gave us too much and even had a quiz the next day

Merlin3189 said:
Real images, real focal lengths (convex lens) and real objects have positive values, virtual images, virtual focal lengths (concave lens) and virtual objects have negative values. Summarised here.
I believe there are other conventions which work. So long as you use a consistent sign convention, you can use whichever.

Thanks!

1. What is a three lens problem?

A three lens problem is a problem in optics that involves three lenses arranged in a certain configuration. The goal is to calculate the position and size of the final image produced by the combination of the lenses.

2. How do I solve a three lens problem?

To solve a three lens problem, you will need to use the thin lens equation, which relates the focal length, object distance, and image distance of a lens. You will also need to use the lensmaker's equation, which relates the focal length of a lens to its refractive index and curvature. Using these equations and applying the principles of ray tracing, you can determine the position and size of the final image.

3. What are some common mistakes when solving a three lens problem?

One common mistake is not taking into account the sign conventions of the thin lens equation. Another mistake is not considering the magnification of each lens when calculating the overall magnification of the system. It is also important to double check your calculations and make sure all units are consistent.

4. Can I use the same method to solve a three lens problem with different types of lenses?

Yes, the same method can be used to solve a three lens problem with different types of lenses as long as you know the focal length and refractive index of each lens. However, different types of lenses may have different curvatures and therefore require different equations to calculate their focal length.

5. Are there any real-world applications of solving three lens problems?

Three lens problems have many real-world applications in fields such as photography, microscopy, and telescopes. By understanding how lenses interact with each other, we can design and optimize optical systems for various purposes. Additionally, solving three lens problems can also help in the development of new lens designs and technologies.