Please help Projectile breaks into fragments question

• Thread starter DunWorry
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Projectile
In summary, a projectile of mass 22kg is fired at an angle of 55 degrees to horizontal with a speed of 350ms-1. At the highest point of trajectory the projectile explodes into two equal fragments, one landing directly beneath the explosion and the other flying off. The first fragment lands 5867m from the cannon and the second fragment lands 17600m from the cannon. The speeds of each fragment at the moment of the explosion have been calculated. The last part of the question asks for the energy released in the explosion. By looking only at the kinetic energy before and after the explosion, the equation KE_{before} = KE_{after} + KE_{explosion} can be used to find the energy released
DunWorry

Homework Statement

A projectile of mass 22kg is fired at an angle of 55 degrees to horizontal with a speed of 350ms-1. At the highest point of trajectory the projectile explodes into two equal fragments, one lands directly beneath the explosion and the other flies off.

I have done the parts of the question, worked out the first piece lands 5867m and the second piece lands 17600m from the cannon. I have also worked out the speeds of each fragment at the moment of the explosion

The last part says what is the energy released in the explosion?

I can't formulate it in my head, I can only think of KE[itex]_{initial}[/itex] + Potential energy [itex]_{explosion}[/itex]= GPE[itex]_{max height}[/itex] + KE[itex]_{left over}[/itex] (because its still moving in x direction at max height)+ KE[itex]_{explosion}[/itex]

I'm not sure of how I am going to find this energy.

Thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
Do you need to worry about the PE? How about looking only at the KE just before and just after after the explosion...

KEafter = KEbefore + KEexplosion

Edit: Humm. I'm having second thoughts about that. Do you know the mass of each bit after the explosion?

CWatters said:
Do you need to worry about the PE? How about looking only at the KE just before and just after after the explosion...

KEafter = KEbefore + KEexplosion

Edit: Humm. I'm having second thoughts about that. Do you know the mass of each bit after the explosion?

no no wait it gives the right answer if I do KE[itex]_{before}[/itex] = KE[itex]_{AFTER}[/itex] + KE [itex]_{explosion}[/itex]

but how did you think of this? why can I ignore potential energy?

also the mass of each piece is 10kg as it breaks into equal fragments.

DunWorry said:
no no wait it gives the right answer if I do KE[itex]_{before}[/itex] = KE[itex]_{AFTER}[/itex] + KE [itex]_{explosion}[/itex]

The change in gravitational potential energy is the same, but the change in kinetic energy gives us the work done by the projectile, which is what we are interested in.

DunWorry said:

Immediately after the explosion, what is the potential energy?

DunWorry said:

What sammy said. Just after the explosion the two bits of shell have different velocity but they start from the same height as the shell.

Last edited:

Related to Please help Projectile breaks into fragments question

1. What is a projectile?

A projectile is any object that is thrown or launched through the air with a certain initial velocity and follows a parabolic trajectory due to the forces of gravity and air resistance.

2. How does a projectile break into fragments?

A projectile can break into fragments due to a variety of factors, including the material and strength of the projectile, the impact force and angle, and any external forces acting on it. These factors can cause the projectile to experience stress and ultimately break apart into smaller pieces.

3. What are the potential dangers of a projectile breaking into fragments?

The dangers of a projectile breaking into fragments depend on the situation and location. In some cases, the fragments can cause injury or damage to nearby objects or people. In other cases, the fragments can pose a threat to the stability and safety of the projectile itself.

4. How can scientists study the fragmentation of projectiles?

Scientists can study the fragmentation of projectiles through experiments, simulations, and mathematical models. They can also analyze data from real-life incidents to better understand the factors and mechanisms involved in the fragmentation process.

5. Can the fragmentation of projectiles be prevented?

The fragmentation of projectiles can be prevented or minimized through careful design and testing of the projectile, as well as implementing safety measures and protocols. However, in some cases, such as high-impact collisions, fragmentation may be unavoidable.