Please help with this MCNP program -- in the output response I get too small a value

angfells
Hello everyone!
I have some troubles with my MCNP programm:
I have a source, a moderator and a tally. The source is surface, the moderator is water (but I need to calculate for vacuum as well). Only neutrons are used in this task. The neutron flux is unidirectional. I take 1e6 the number of stories, but in the output response I get too small a value. I've tried everything, I don't understand why it's happening:cry:. My code and output files are below.

Attachments

• test1 — копия (2).txt
    1.1 KB · Views: 59
  • outv — копия.txt
    38.2 KB · Views: 52
Engineering news on Phys.org
Hi, welcome to physicsforums.

All tally results are per source particle. You are not using a material in the problem so all the neutrons are traveling through empty space. So the current question is asking how many neutrons made on surface 15 pass through surface 3 and the answer is 1.0 (all of them).

Alex A said:
Hi, welcome to physicsforums.

All tally results are per source particle. You are not using a material in the problem so all the neutrons are traveling through empty space. So the current question is asking how many neutrons made on surface 15 pass through surface 3 and the answer is 1.0 (all of them).
Thanks a lot! Probably I misinterpreted the output file...

1. Why am I getting a small value in the output response of my MCNP program?

There could be several reasons for this. It could be due to insufficient input data, incorrect boundary conditions, or errors in the code. It is important to carefully check your input parameters and code to identify the source of the issue.

2. How can I increase the output response in my MCNP program?

There are a few ways to potentially increase the output response. You can try increasing the number of particles in your simulation, adjusting the energy range, or changing the geometry of your model. It may also be helpful to consult with other users or experts in the field for suggestions.

3. Is it possible that my MCNP program is producing accurate results even with a small output response?

Yes, it is possible. The output response is just one aspect of the simulation results and does not necessarily indicate the accuracy of the overall simulation. It is important to carefully analyze all aspects of the output and compare it to expected values or experimental data to determine the accuracy of the results.

4. Can the output response of my MCNP program be affected by the type of material used in the simulation?

Yes, the output response can be affected by the type of material used. Different materials have different properties that can impact the behavior of particles in the simulation. It is important to carefully select and input the correct material properties to ensure accurate results.

5. Are there any specific troubleshooting steps I can follow to address the issue of a small output response in my MCNP program?

Yes, there are a few troubleshooting steps you can follow. First, carefully check your input parameters and code for any errors. Next, try adjusting the parameters mentioned in the second question. You can also consult with other users or experts for advice. Additionally, checking the MCNP program documentation or seeking support from the developers may also be helpful.