Where can I find the photon yield/intensity values for MCNP6 simulations?

In summary, the conversation discusses using MCNP6 to determine dose rate and how to find the photon yield or intensity needed for the calculation. One person mentions that the yield depends on the radionuclide and provides examples for Co-60 and Cs-137. The other person thanks them for the link to a website that provides this data.
khary23
I am working on a problem determining dose rate using MCNP6. I am following two papers that did the same type of simulation and in them they multiply the tally results by the photon yield also called the photon intensity to detrime the dose rate. My question is where does one find this value ? Is it in the output file or are there tables of yield for different isotopes? Thanks in advance.

Engineering news on Phys.org
Hi
the yield dépends of your radionuclide.
For example Co-60 emits two photons 1.33 and 1.17 MeV for one Bq so for 1 GBq it emits 2E9 g/s.
For Cs-137 the intensity is 85 % for 662 keV so for 1 GBq it emits 8.5E8 g/s
you can have, for example, this data on the site : http://www.nucleide.org/Laraweb/index.php

• Informative
Likes khary23
Thank you so much for that link its exactly what I was looking for!

Related to Where can I find the photon yield/intensity values for MCNP6 simulations?

1. How can I determine the photon yield/intensity values for MCNP6 simulations?

The photon yield/intensity values for MCNP6 simulations can be determined by analyzing the output files generated by the simulation. These files contain information about the number of photons produced, their energy, and their direction.

2. Can I find the photon yield/intensity values for MCNP6 simulations in the user manual?

No, the user manual for MCNP6 does not contain specific information about the photon yield/intensity values. It is recommended to consult with experienced users or refer to online resources for this information.

3. Are the photon yield/intensity values for MCNP6 simulations dependent on the simulation parameters?

Yes, the photon yield/intensity values can vary depending on the simulation parameters such as the geometry, materials, and energy source. It is important to carefully select these parameters to accurately determine the photon yield/intensity values.

4. Is there a standard unit for expressing photon yield/intensity values in MCNP6 simulations?

Yes, the photon yield/intensity values in MCNP6 simulations are typically expressed in photons per source particle. However, it is important to check the output files to confirm the unit being used.

5. Can I modify the MCNP6 code to calculate the photon yield/intensity values?

Yes, the MCNP6 code is open-source and can be modified to calculate the photon yield/intensity values. However, it is recommended to consult with experienced users or refer to online resources for guidance on making modifications to the code.