Please recommend me a good math book prior to taking trigonometry

In summary, a user asked for help on the "Science & Math Textbooks" subforum but received few responses, so they asked for help on a different subforum. They are seeking recommendations for Algebra I and II review books before taking a college trigonometry class. The user "slider142" recommended some books but the original poster expressed concerns about their length. They asked for shorter math book recommendations and provided a link to a specific book. Another user suggested looking for cheap used books from certain authors. The original poster thanked them and said they will check them out when they have more time.
Newdimension
Hello, I asked for help on the "Science & Math Textbooks" subforum, but it looks like there are not many users in there. So I hope you don't mind if I ask for help in this subforum since I need help on this soon.

Copy and paste from my other thread:
"Hello, it has been a few years since I took an algebra class, and therefore I have already forgotten a lot of material. I will be taking a college trigonometry class soon during winter session and I was wondering if you could recommend me a good Algebra I and II book to review before taking the class. I will be taking, at a later time, pre-calculus, calculus I, calculus II, etc. so, if the book covers some of that material as well, it would be a good plus.

Please recommend me only books. I know there is a lot of free material, including videos, online, but I prefer a book."

The user "slider142" replied to me and recommended me the following books: "Sheldon Axler's Algebra and Trigonometry is nice, and so is Lang's Basic Mathematics. I also recommend What Is Mathematics? just for fun, if you have the time."

However, I replied by saying that those books are more than 500 pages and that I won't be able to read most pages from either book since my class begins a month and a few weeks from now, and I also need to get ready for another class.

So, could you guys recommend me some shorter math books? What do you think of the following book?
https://www.amazon.com/dp/1592441300/?tag=pfamazon01-20

Last edited by a moderator:
Mathematics news on Phys.org
Newdimension said:
Hello, I asked for help on the "Science & Math Textbooks" subforum, but it looks like there are not many users in there. So I hope you don't mind if I ask for help in this subforum since I need help on this soon.

Copy and paste from my other thread:
"Hello, it has been a few years since I took an algebra class, and therefore I have already forgotten a lot of material. I will be taking a college trigonometry class soon during winter session and I was wondering if you could recommend me a good Algebra I and II book to review before taking the class. I will be taking, at a later time, pre-calculus, calculus I, calculus II, etc. so, if the book covers some of that material as well, it would be a good plus.

Please recommend me only books. I know there is a lot of free material, including videos, online, but I prefer a book."

The user "slider142" replied to me and recommended me the following books: "Sheldon Axler's Algebra and Trigonometry is nice, and so is Lang's Basic Mathematics. I also recommend What Is Mathematics? just for fun, if you have the time."

However, I replied by saying that those books are more than 500 pages and that I won't be able to read most pages from either book since my class begins a month and a few weeks from now, and I also need to get ready for another class.

So, could you guys recommend me some shorter math books? What do you think of the following book?
https://www.amazon.com/dp/1592441300/?tag=pfamazon01-20

Older, or even not so old books for Algebra 1 and Algebra 2, from the authors: Aufmann & Barker; Wright & New, Lial; Lial & Miller; (not sure of spelling for this one, but) Sergenfeu; Drooyan.

Last edited by a moderator:
Some of the books from those authors are extremely cheap if bought used (it looks like Amazon sellers are trying to get rid of them and the buyer has to pay for shipping only); however, the books are about the same in length as the books mentioned above. Thank you very much for your help

Newdimension said:
Some of the books from those authors are extremely cheap if bought used (it looks like Amazon sellers are trying to get rid of them and the buyer has to pay for shipping only); however, the books are about the same in length as the books mentioned above. Thank you very much for your help
The reasons that I recommend such books is just as you say, that they ARE very low priced; and they are often very easy to find at booksales, especially community library booksales. The instructional quality contained in them is also excellent.

Alright, thank you for your suggestion, I will take a look at them when I have more free time later.

The highest price I paid for ANY used, old mathematics book from a library booksale was $2.

1. What are the key topics covered in a good math book for trigonometry?

A good math book for trigonometry should cover topics such as basic algebra, geometry, and functions, as well as more advanced concepts like logarithms, graphing, and trigonometric identities.

2. Is it necessary to have prior knowledge of math before reading a book on trigonometry?

While it is helpful to have a basic understanding of algebra and geometry before delving into trigonometry, a good math book on the subject will provide a review of these topics and start from the basics.

3. How do I choose the right math book for my level?

Consider your current math skills and what you hope to gain from the book. Look for books that are specifically geared towards your level, or ones that have a good balance of review and new material.

4. Are there any recommended authors or publishers for math books on trigonometry?

Some popular authors in the field of math and trigonometry include Ron Larson, Michael Sullivan, and George Simmons. It is also helpful to look for books published by reputable publishers such as Pearson, McGraw-Hill, or Wiley.

5. Are there any online resources that can help me choose a good math book for trigonometry?

Yes, there are many online forums and websites dedicated to discussing and reviewing math books. Some examples include Math Stack Exchange, Goodreads, and MathHelp.com. You can also ask your math teacher or tutor for recommendations.