Plot compound parabolic concentrator in Excel

• Thread starter Josh chips
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Excel Plot
In summary, a plot compound parabolic concentrator is a solar collector that uses a parabolic-shaped reflector to concentrate sunlight onto a smaller area, increasing its intensity for more efficient conversion of solar energy. To create one in Excel, you can use the graphing feature and input the mathematical equation or use the built-in functions for drawing shapes and lines. Its benefits include increased efficiency, simple design, and low cost, but limitations include needing direct sunlight and constant adjustment. To improve performance, you can use highly reflective materials and tracking systems.
Josh chips
I have the winston equations for the cpc but i am having problems getting the exact shape of a symmetric compound parabolic concentrator in excel
Help me with the corrections in terms of the width 2a =10 and half acceptance angle of 30 dg please

Mathematics news on Phys.org
please find attached of what i have done so far

Attachments

• Book2.xlsx
    27.6 KB · Views: 309
Welcome to the PF, Josh. :smile:

Can you post a few JPEG screenshots of your work? Many folks may be reluctant to open an Excel spreadsheet from an unknown source. Thanks.

image941 (1).jpg
am trying to come up with this drawing in excel

Attachments

• image941 (1).jpg
    image941 (1).jpg
    9.6 KB · Views: 606

What is a plot compound parabolic concentrator?

A plot compound parabolic concentrator is a type of solar collector that uses a parabolic-shaped reflector to concentrate sunlight onto a smaller area to increase its intensity. This allows for more efficient conversion of solar energy into heat or electricity.

How do you create a plot compound parabolic concentrator in Excel?

To create a plot compound parabolic concentrator in Excel, you will need to use the graphing feature and input the mathematical equation for the parabolic shape. You can also use the built-in functions for drawing shapes and lines to create a visual representation of the concentrator.

What are the benefits of using a plot compound parabolic concentrator?

The main benefit of using a plot compound parabolic concentrator is its ability to increase the intensity of solar energy, making it more efficient for various applications such as heating water or generating electricity. It also has a simple design and can be easily constructed with inexpensive materials.

Are there any limitations to using a plot compound parabolic concentrator?

One limitation of a plot compound parabolic concentrator is that it requires direct sunlight to function efficiently. This means it may not work well in cloudy or shaded areas. It also needs to be constantly adjusted to track the movement of the sun, making it less suitable for stationary applications.

How can I improve the performance of a plot compound parabolic concentrator?

To improve the performance of a plot compound parabolic concentrator, you can use reflective materials with a high reflectivity, such as polished aluminum, to increase the concentration of sunlight. You can also incorporate tracking systems to follow the sun's movement and adjust the angle of the concentrator accordingly.