Plotting a far-field Intensity distribution

In summary, the conversation discussed the use of a theoretical equation to plot a far-field intensity distribution. The equation included values such as focal length, slit width, slit separation, number of slits, and wavelength of the light beam. The primary and secondary maxima of the interference pattern were also discussed, as well as the single slit diffraction factor. The conversation also touched on the difficulty of obtaining values for θ and the suggested method of inputting integers to calculate the angle for both parts of the function. The potential results of the experiment were also mentioned, with approximately 10 bright fringes in the center and additional sets of fringes on either side.
Strides
Hey,

I'm attempting to plot a far-field intensity distribution using theoretical values, however I'm having difficulty with calculating the intensity using the following equation:

$$I = I_o \frac {sin^{2}{b}}{b^{2}} \frac {sin^{2}{Ny}}{sin^{2}{y}}$$

where:

$$y = \frac {kdX}{2f}$$

$$b = \frac {kaX}{2f}$$

$$X = f*theta$$

I've got values for the focal length, f, the slit width, a, the slit separation (periodicity), d, the number of slits, N, the wavelength of the light beam and the original intensity which has been normalised to 1.

I'm trying to find the maximal intensity, which I currently believe to be 400, given that N = 20, however I'm having difficulty finding the other maximal values (ideally up to 8 each side).

I understand the nature of the convolution theory, but not entirely sure how I can utilise it to derive the necessary results.

Any help would be much appreciated?

Physics news on Phys.org
For the interference part of the function, (Note: I made a slight correction to this on 12-28-17=I didn't have a ## \sin^2 ## in the denominator), ## I(\theta)=I_o \frac{\sin^2(N \phi /2)}{\sin^2(\phi/2)} ## where ## \phi=\frac{2 \pi}{\lambda} d \sin(\theta) ## , the primary maxima occur when the denominator is equal to zero, and the limit is ##I(\theta_{max})=I_o N^2 ## as ## m \lambda=d \sin(\theta) ## for any integer ## m ##. This is the case for any ## N ##. The secondary maxima occur between the zeros of the numerator when the denominator is not equal to zero. The numerator is equal to zero when ## N d \sin(\theta)=k \lambda ## for some integer ##k ##. There are ## N-1 ## zeros of the numerator between adjacent principal maxima where the denominator is also zero. There are ## N-2 ## secondary maxima between adjacent primary maxima. One thing that makes doing this with a computer somewhat tricky is you need to simply assign the value of ## N^2 ## when the denominator is zero (at the primary maxima), because the computer will give an error there. ## \\ ## The other part of the function that gets multiplied by this is a single slit diffraction factor. You simply take a product of the two parts to get the complete result. It is not necessary to try to apply the convolution theorem from linear response theory and Fourier transform theory to graph this result. ## \\ ## The single slit diffraction pattern has a peak in the center (at ## \theta=0 ##), and has zeros at ## m \lambda=a \sin(\theta) ## for integers ## m \neq 0 ##. ## \\ ## Additional note: It is somewhat easy to sketch both of these functions by hand. The most important feature of the interference factor (the part described in detail above) is the primary maxima. The peaks are somewhat narrow with ## N=20 ## because the numerator drops to zero on either side of these peaks very quickly. The diffraction factor is also easily sketched.

Last edited:
Likes Strides
Thanks for the help, however I don't have any values for θ that I can use, all I've got that I can think may be of some help is the focal length of the lens, that I used to focus the diffraction pattern. Is there any other method of obtaining θ theoretically?

Strides said:
Thanks for the help, however I don't have any values for θ that I can use, all I've got that I can think may be of some help is the focal length of the lens, that I used to focus the diffraction pattern. Is there any other method of obtaining θ theoretically?
Do you have any idea what ## d ## might be? If you used monochromatic light, with ## N =20 ##, (which is reasonably large), you should get mostly primary maxima as the main feature of the pattern. You'll get a central maxima at ## \theta=0 ##, (## m=0 ##), and other primary maxima at ## m \lambda=d \sin(\theta) ## for all integers ## m ## where ## \sin(\theta) \approx \tan(\theta)=x/f ##. (If ## d ## is on the order of the wavelength ## \lambda ##, ## m ## will be limited in that there will be a maximum ## m ## that ## |m \lambda/d| <1 ## in order to have ## |\sin(\theta)|<1 ##). ## \\ ## If you know the wavelength ## \lambda ##, you should be able to compute ## d ##. To get quantitative results for the slit width ## a ##, it usually takes considerably more effort. (For a single slit, ## a ## is more easily found. When there are many slits, e.g. when ## N=20 ##, ## a ## is more difficult to quantify from observing the diffraction pattern.)

Last edited:
I've already calculated d and a, using a microscope, to be, d = 2.53x10^(-4)m, and, a = 5.4x10^(-5)m, respectively. Would I just have to then input integers from say, 1 to 8, to get the correct angle, θ, for both parts of the function, interference and diffraction?

Strides said:
I've already calculated d and a, using a microscope, to be, d = 2.53x10^(-4)m, and, a = 5.4x10^(-5)m, respectively. Would I just have to then input integers from say, 1 to 8, to get the correct angle, θ, for both parts of the function, interference and diffraction?
Basically yes. The single slit diffraction part should limit how wide the interference pattern is. After around ## m=2 ## or ## m=3 ##, for ## m \lambda=a \sin(\theta) ##, the diffraction factor becomes very small and is largest between ## m=1 ## and ## m=-1 ##. (The diffraction factor is equal to ## 1 ## at ## \theta =0 ##). (If ## a ## is very small, you get a diffraction factor that covers a wider range of ## \theta ## ). The diffraction factor is easily sketched. You can also graph it with a computer. ## \\ ## Just a quick guess at what you observed experimentally: You probably got about 10 bright fringes in a central region (with the fringes brightest in the center) and a second set(s) of about 5 fringes on either side of the 10 brightest ones, and perhaps a 3rd set of about 5 on either side of those that is considerably dimmer.

Last edited:

1. What is a far-field intensity distribution?

A far-field intensity distribution is a graphical representation of the distribution of light intensity in the far-field region of an optical system. This region is typically located several wavelengths away from the source of light and is where the light has fully propagated and spread out.

2. How is a far-field intensity distribution measured or calculated?

The far-field intensity distribution can be measured experimentally using a light detector such as a photodiode or CCD camera. It can also be calculated using mathematical models, such as Fourier transforms or ray tracing, which take into account the properties of the light source, optical components, and the distance from the source to the far-field region.

3. What factors can affect the far-field intensity distribution?

The far-field intensity distribution can be influenced by various factors, such as the shape and size of the light source, the wavelength of the light, the properties of the optical system, and any obstructions or aberrations in the optical path. Environmental factors, such as temperature and air turbulence, can also have an impact on the distribution.

4. What is the significance of plotting a far-field intensity distribution?

Plotting a far-field intensity distribution can provide valuable information about the performance of an optical system, such as the efficiency of light propagation, the quality of the optical components, and the presence of any aberrations. It can also aid in the design and optimization of optical systems for various applications, such as imaging, communication, and sensing.

5. How can a far-field intensity distribution be used in practical applications?

A far-field intensity distribution can be used in various practical applications, such as determining the spatial resolution of an imaging system, evaluating the beam quality of a laser, characterizing the performance of optical fibers, and optimizing the design of solar panels. It is also commonly used in the field of astronomy to study the properties of distant sources of light, such as stars and galaxies.