Plotting Charge Density in 3D: Can My Data Be Formatted as an XYZ File?

In summary, the speaker is looking to plot charge density in 3D using grid points and is wondering if their data can be formatted as an xyz file. They mention converting to a plt format but are unsure of how to convert their data to an xyz file. They are advised to use xcrysden or vesta for plotting instead.
Morberticus
I have a charge density I would like to plot in 3D

The data is currently in the format

x1 y1 z1 density
x2 y2 z2 density
etc
etc

where x,y,z are grid points. Can this kind of data be formatted as an xyz file? I know xyz is normally atom locations (I have no explicit atoms), but I have heard it can be done.

The program I am using to plot it is gopenmol, which expects plt format. I can convert xyz to plt but not sure how to convert my data to xyz

Thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
It doesn't sound like it. It sounds to me like an xyz file represents a different kind of data. I'd suggest looking at xcrysden or vesta for plotting charge density in 3D.

Related to Plotting Charge Density in 3D: Can My Data Be Formatted as an XYZ File?

What is charge density?

Charge density is a measure of the amount of electric charge per unit volume at a given point in space.

What is the importance of plotting charge density?

Plotting charge density allows us to visualize the distribution of electric charge in a given system, which can help us understand the behavior of electric fields and how charges interact with each other.

How is charge density calculated?

Charge density is calculated by dividing the total charge by the volume in which it is contained. In mathematical terms, it is represented as ρ=q/V, where ρ is the charge density, q is the total charge, and V is the volume.

What are the units of charge density?

The units of charge density depend on the units used for charge and volume. In the SI system, charge density is measured in coulombs per cubic meter (C/m³).

What factors can affect the charge density of a system?

The charge density of a system can be affected by the amount and distribution of electric charge, the size and shape of the system, and the presence of external electric fields. Temperature and pressure can also have an impact on charge density in certain materials.