Plugging Godel Metric's Line Element into Software for Covariant Einstein Tensor

In summary, the conversation is about the Godel metric and the request for someone to use software to calculate the Einstein tensor in a coordinate basis. The speaker also shares their own calculated Einstein tensor and metric tensor, and asks for someone to confirm their results. They mention that they would prefer the answer to be in covariant form, but are open to receiving the contravariant or mixed tensor variant.
space-time
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gödel_metric
Could someone please plug the line element for the Godel metric (seen on the above wiki page) into some software to see what comes out for the Einstein tensor in a coordinate basis (preferably the covariant version rather than the contravariant version or mixed tensor version)? I ask this because I want to check my own work for accuracy, but I can not find anywhere online that showcases the covariant form of the Einstein tensor of the Godel metric in Cartesian coordinates. Here is what I got for my Einstein tensor Gμν:

G00 , G11 , and G22 all equal 1/2
G03 and G30 = ex / 2
G33= (3/4) e2x

Everything else was 0.

In the case that I made some mistake early on, here was my metric tensor gμν:

g00= -1 / (2ω2)

g11 and g22 = 1 / (2ω2)

g03 and g30 = -ex / (2ω2)

g33 = -e2x / (4ω2)

everything else was 0.Now that I've given you my metric and Einstein tensors, can someone plug the line element on the wiki into some software and report the Einstein tensor that it returns. Please keep in mind that these calculations are in a coordinate basis and not an orthonormal. When I tried to convert to an orthonormal basis, I ended up getting some rather strange results.

P.S. I am fine if the software returns the contravariant or mixed tensor variant of the Einstein tensor because I can always just raise some indices, but I would prefer if the answer I got back was covariant.

Thank you.

Physics news on Phys.org
I have this set up already and the Einstein tensor that Maxima (ctensor) gets is the same as yours.

1. What is the Godel Metric's Line Element?

The Godel Metric's Line Element is a mathematical formula that describes the geometry of a rotating universe in Einstein's theory of general relativity. It takes into account the effects of rotation and time dilation on the structure of spacetime.

2. How is the Godel Metric's Line Element used in software for Covariant Einstein Tensor?

The Godel Metric's Line Element can be plugged into software for Covariant Einstein Tensor to calculate the curvature of spacetime in a rotating universe. This allows for the prediction of the behavior of objects and particles in such a universe.

3. What is Covariant Einstein Tensor?

Covariant Einstein Tensor is a mathematical tool used in general relativity to describe the curvature of spacetime. It takes into account the effects of mass and energy on the structure of spacetime.

4. What are the practical applications of plugging Godel Metric's Line Element into software for Covariant Einstein Tensor?

By using the Godel Metric's Line Element in software for Covariant Einstein Tensor, scientists can better understand the behavior of rotating universes and make predictions about the behavior of objects in such universes. This can have implications for our understanding of the universe and for future space travel.

5. Are there any limitations to using the Godel Metric's Line Element in software for Covariant Einstein Tensor?

Like any mathematical model, the Godel Metric's Line Element has its limitations. It only applies to rotating universes and does not take into account other factors that may affect the curvature of spacetime. Additionally, the calculations involved in plugging the line element into software for Covariant Einstein Tensor can be complex and may require advanced mathematical knowledge and computational power.