Pneumatic valve for cartesian robot

In summary, Jake Platt is trying to build a high-speed X/Y cartesian robot with a venturi vacuum integrated into the end effector. However, this setup requires a Z-axis to go up and down to avoid sucking up everything. Jake is looking for a pneumatic valve that can toggle the vacuum on and off quickly, but has been unable to find one in the size range he needs. Another suggestion is to open small holes in the hose upstream to disrupt the vacuum.
Jake Platt
Hello,

I am trying to build a high-speed X/Y cartesian robot which vacuums up defected parts from a moving conveyor. The end effector of the robot has a venturi vacuum integrated. Because the vacuum is constant, I need a Z-axis to go up/down for the end effector to get the defects otherwise it sucks up everthing. This is very slow. I would rather keep the height constant of the end effector and instead toggle the vacuum on/off using a valve of some kind so I can eliminate the z axis. I can't seem to find what I'm looking for because valves I've found are for small diameters (10mm). I need a valve for hoses about the size of ping-pong balls. Can anyone suggest a source for a pneumatic valve in the size range and that can cycle in very high speeds?

Thank you,
Jake Platt

Engineering news on Phys.org
Jake Platt said:
Hello,

I am trying to build a high-speed X/Y cartesian robot which vacuums up defected parts from a moving conveyor. The end effector of the robot has a venturi vacuum integrated. Because the vacuum is constant, I need a Z-axis to go up/down for the end effector to get the defects otherwise it sucks up everthing. This is very slow. I would rather keep the height constant of the end effector and instead toggle the vacuum on/off using a valve of some kind so I can eliminate the z axis. I can't seem to find what I'm looking for because valves I've found are for small diameters (10mm). I need a valve for hoses about the size of ping-pong balls. Can anyone suggest a source for a pneumatic valve in the size range and that can cycle in very high speeds?

Thank you,
Jake Platt

Interesting. Can you instead just open several small holes in the hose some distance upstream to spoil the vacuum at the end?

I misunderstood your point for 2 months. I was re-reading old posts and now i finally get your point. Clever! It never dawned on me to the leave the vacuum intact and just cancel the pressure.

1. What is a pneumatic valve for cartesian robot?

A pneumatic valve for cartesian robot is a type of valve that is used to control the flow of pressurized air in a cartesian robot system. It is an essential component that allows the robot to move and perform tasks accurately and efficiently.

2. How does a pneumatic valve for cartesian robot work?

A pneumatic valve for cartesian robot works by using compressed air to control the movement of the robot. When the valve is open, air is allowed to flow through the system, causing the robot to move. When the valve is closed, the flow of air is blocked, and the robot stops moving.

3. What are the benefits of using a pneumatic valve for cartesian robot?

There are several benefits to using a pneumatic valve for cartesian robot, including its simplicity, reliability, and cost-effectiveness. Pneumatic systems are also fast and can handle heavy loads, making them ideal for industrial applications.

4. How do you maintain a pneumatic valve for cartesian robot?

Maintenance of a pneumatic valve for cartesian robot involves regular cleaning and lubrication of the valve components, as well as checking for any leaks or damages. It is also essential to follow the manufacturer's instructions for proper installation and operation to ensure the valve's optimal performance.

5. Are there any safety considerations when using a pneumatic valve for cartesian robot?

Yes, there are some safety considerations when using a pneumatic valve for cartesian robot. It is crucial to follow safety protocols and guidelines when working with compressed air to prevent accidents. It is also essential to regularly inspect the valve and its components for any potential hazards or malfunctions.