Point charge near charged plate

In summary, the equation listed should be used, with the 'charge density' determined by the point charge multiplied by the area of the plate, but not sure if that makes sense.
swinfen
Homework Statement
A conducting plate has a total charge of 10.0 C on the two sides of the plate of area 10.0 m2. What is the magnitude of the electric field on a charge of 3.0 mC only 2.0 nm from the surface?
Relevant Equations
E = σ/2e0
I thought the equation listed should be used, with the 'charge density' determined by the point charge multiplied by the area of the plate, but not sure if that makes sense.

Physics news on Phys.org
Hi again,

This exercise is badly composed:

Your equation does not contain the magnitude of the test charge, so: no multiplication to calculate the electric field above a uniformly charged large conducting plate, leading to ##E = \displaystyle {\sigma\over 2\varepsilon_0}## and all you would have to do is calculate ##\sigma## .

However:

The 3 mC (test) charge will contribute to the electric field and change the surface charge distribution, in such a way that the electric field lines will be perpendicular to the plate. This is a more complicated situation that requires more advanced calculation, which was probably not intended by the exercise composer (unless this was already treated in your class, which I doubt)

##\ ##

Last edited:
Thanks again BvU. That's kind of what I thought - that this seems like it might be more complex that the extent of the course (AP Physics 1 - which is pre-cal). I didn't calculate σ based on the total charge (I think incorrectly using the point charge), so if I were to ignore the point charge magnitude (as in 'it's tiny'), perhaps it's simply σ = q/A = 10/10 = 1 - or should it be 10/20 = 1/2 (as the charge is distributed across both sides of the plate - but if that were the case, wouldn't the electric field applied to the point charge on only be applicable from one side of the plate?...

Thinking about it - I guess the 'charge density' must be the overall charge divided by the overall area - so 10/20 = 1/2. So E = (q/A) / (2e0) = 1/(4*e0) = 1/(4*8.854*10^-12) = 3.542*10^-11N/C.

swinfen said:
Thinking about it - I guess the 'charge density' must be the overall charge divided by the overall area - so 10/20 = 1/2. So E = (q/A) / (2e0) = 1/(4*e0) = 1/(4*8.854*10^-12) = 3.542*10^-11N/C.
No, that does the halving twice.
In your standard equation, the 2 in the denominator arises because the charge is considered equally split between the two sides, but the area only measures one side. You don't need to halve again.

Ok - fair enough - so all of the information about the single point charge and its distance from the charged surface is moot (at least if we assume it is meant to be too small to matter for this level of course); the charge density is considered to be the charge over both surfaces (as stated), but only divided by the area of one surface (unless the question is just ambiguous and they mean the total surface area (i.e. of both sides) is 10m^2), then we can take that charge density and just use the formula: E = σ/2e0

swinfen said:
and they mean the total surface area (i.e. of both sides) is 10m^2)
No, you misunderstand me.
If the total charge on the plate is Q, and the plate has area A each side then the charge density each side is Q/(2A). You can think of the charge on each side as only sending out field lines on its own side, or as each side sending out half its field lines each side. It makes no difference to the field. Either way, you have a field ##\frac Q{2A\epsilon_0}## each side.
The standard formula you quote applies whether the plate is an insulator or a conductor, so doesn't discriminate the sides. ##\sigma=Q/A##, ##E=\frac{\sigma}{2\epsilon_0}=\frac Q{2A\epsilon_0}##

1. What is a point charge?

A point charge is a hypothetical charge that is concentrated at a single point in space. It is used to simplify calculations in electrostatics and is represented by the symbol q.

2. How does a point charge interact with a charged plate?

A point charge will experience a force when placed near a charged plate. The direction of the force depends on the polarity of the charge and the orientation of the plate. If the charge and plate have the same polarity, the force will be repulsive, and if they have opposite polarities, the force will be attractive.

3. What factors affect the strength of the force between a point charge and a charged plate?

The strength of the force between a point charge and a charged plate depends on the magnitude of the charge, the distance between the charge and the plate, and the dielectric constant of the material between them. The force also follows the inverse square law, meaning it decreases with the square of the distance between the charge and the plate.

4. Can a point charge be placed at any distance from a charged plate?

Yes, a point charge can be placed at any distance from a charged plate. However, the strength of the force between them will decrease as the distance increases, following the inverse square law.

5. What is the significance of a point charge near a charged plate in practical applications?

A point charge near a charged plate is a simplified model used to understand the behavior of more complex systems. It is often used in theoretical calculations and experiments to study the effects of electric fields and forces. It can also be applied in practical applications such as designing electronic devices and understanding the behavior of charged particles in electric fields.