Pointer Momentum of a Measuring Apparatus

In summary, the pointer momentum is an observable of the measuring apparatus that is coupled to the observable being measured in the system. It is used to define the interaction Hamiltonian between the two. While it may have a deeper physical interpretation, its relation to the measurement problem is still a topic of debate and is heavily influenced by the concept of symmetry in physics. Further research on decoherence and the transition from quantum to classical systems may provide more insight into this issue.
SheikYerbouti
I am writing a paper on the problem of measurement and I am stuck on what the pointer momentum corresponds to physically. The coupling of the pointer momentum with the observable being measured is used to define the interaction Hamiltonian between the measuring apparatus and the system being measured. I understand that the observable conjugate to the pointer momentum is the pointer coordinate/read-out and that the pointer momentum generates the translations in for this coordinate. Is this all that there is to the pointer momentum, or does it correspond to something else as well?

Physics news on Phys.org
SheikYerbouti said:
I am writing a paper on the problem of measurement and I am stuck on what the pointer momentum corresponds to physically. The coupling of the pointer momentum with the observable being measured is used to define the interaction Hamiltonian between the measuring apparatus and the system being measured.

Yes - that's how generalised measurements are arrived at:
http://www.quantum.umb.edu/Jacobs/QMT/QMT_Chapter1.pdf

SheikYerbouti said:
I understand that the observable conjugate to the pointer momentum is the pointer coordinate/read-out and that the pointer momentum generates the translations in for this coordinate. Is this all that there is to the pointer momentum, or does it correspond to something else as well?

Well that's all there really is to the momentum operator - but what exactly you mean by 'pointer momentum' in this context I am not sure.

Thanks
Bill

By the pointer momentum, I am referring to the observable of the measuring apparatus that is coupled to the observable that is being measured in the system. I don't know if that helped at all, so here is a link that explains the setup: http://www.theory.caltech.edu/people/preskill/ph229/notes/chap3.pdf. It goes into the model on the second page and I am referring to the P operator. When we discuss the momentum of a particle, there is more to it than simply being the generator of coordinate translations. I was just wondering if there was something similar going on for the pointer momentum in that there was a deeper, manifestly physical interpretation or if it simply is a generator of translation.

SheikYerbouti said:
When we discuss the momentum of a particle, there is more to it than simply being the generator of coordinate translations.

Not so sure about that.

See chapter 3 - Ballentine - Quantum Mechanics - A Modern Development.

It's constrained by the fact probabilities are frame invariant.

Symmetry is its fundamental basis - symmetries implied by probability invariance in QM - symmetries implied by Lagrangian invariance in classical mechanics.

IMHO there is nothing deeper going on - its the magic and mystery of symmetry in physics.

Symmetry tells us what the momentum operator is. But its relation to the measurent problem is another matter - as it is for any observable in QM.

I know that paper you linked to and it is good.

However for understanding the measurement problem in light of modern developments in decoherence I think the following is better:
http://philsci-archive.pitt.edu/5439/1/Decoherence_Essay_arXiv_version.pdf

It emphasises the crucial difference between improper and proper mixed states.

An even better reference is Decoherence and the Quantum to Classical Transition by Schlosshauer
https://www.amazon.com/dp/3540357734/?tag=pfamazon01-20

Its my go-to book on such things.

Thanks
Bill

Last edited by a moderator:

Related to Pointer Momentum of a Measuring Apparatus

What is pointer momentum?

Pointer momentum is the tendency of a measuring apparatus to continue moving even after the measured quantity has been recorded. It is a result of the inertia of the pointer and can affect the accuracy of measurements.

Why is pointer momentum important to consider in a measuring apparatus?

Pointer momentum can cause the pointer to overshoot or undershoot the desired measurement, leading to inaccurate readings. It is important to consider in order to ensure the precision and reliability of the measuring apparatus.

How can pointer momentum be reduced or minimized?

Pointer momentum can be reduced by using a heavier pointer, increasing the friction between the pointer and the surface it moves on, or by adding a damping mechanism such as a shock absorber. Proper calibration and maintenance of the apparatus can also help minimize pointer momentum.

What factors can affect the amount of pointer momentum in a measuring apparatus?

The amount of pointer momentum can be affected by the mass and shape of the pointer, the surface it moves on, and the level of friction and damping present in the apparatus. External factors such as air resistance and vibration can also contribute to pointer momentum.

How does pointer momentum impact the accuracy of measurements?

Pointer momentum can cause the pointer to move past the desired measurement, resulting in an overestimation or underestimation of the value. This can significantly impact the accuracy of measurements, especially in sensitive experiments or industries where precise measurements are crucial.