Pointer to data wanted please -- looking for a primer on phased array radar

In summary: PAR system that has a practical physical antenna size, and a circuit that does phase adjustment for various transmitter antennae.
JeffEvarts
Fair warning: I can handle basic physics stuff, but probably nothing post-collegiate. :)

Specifically, I'm looking for a primer on phased array radar that will tell me two things: 1) what are the practical physical (antenna) requirements for running a PAR system in the 800MHz/5GHz bands, and 2) What kind of circuit is used to do the phase-adjustment work for the various transmitter antennae?

I know this sounds outlandish, but with the recent explosion of cheap DIY/Arduino radar sensor boards, it seems like this RF territory must have been pretty thoroughly thrashed out - somewhere there is a textbook or batch of papers that will talk about this with some authority, right?

Alternatively, are there any colleges in southern California with RF labs/departments that specialize in this kind of stuff?

-Jeff Evarts, armchair polymath

Last edited by a moderator:
Engineering news on Phys.org
Skolnik - Introduction to Radar Systems - Irwin . Most excellent book .

JeffEvarts said:
1) what are the practical physical (antenna) requirements for running a PAR system in the 800MHz/5GHz bands, and 2) What kind of circuit is used to do the phase-adjustment work for the various transmitter antennae?

I know this sounds outlandish, but with the recent explosion of cheap DIY/Arduino radar sensor boards, it seems like this RF territory must have been pretty thoroughly thrashed out
Are you looking to do both TX and RX with the PAR, or just RX with angular sensing of the source direction?

ideally I would do both tx and rx from either one or two relatively small surfaces (2cm radius-ish) but if that's mechanically prohibited due to wavelength, other solutions (like a separate transmitting antenna) can be used. This would be test/prototype gear, lovingly produced. :)

-Jeff

Would this be in the ISM band? You need to be careful where you to transmitting radar signals... :smile:

I really don't know what band would be used... there was some speculation in the reviews of the arduino radar sensors that they operated in the shorter wavelengths, so that's what I was basing my questions on. I have NO intention of producing, using, or proselytizing illegal radio transmissions! My life is complicated enough without legal issues. :)

-Jeff

Likes berkeman

1. What is phased array radar?

Phased array radar is a type of radar system that uses multiple antennas and electronic beam steering to scan and track targets. It allows for faster scanning and simultaneous tracking of multiple targets compared to traditional radar systems.

2. How does phased array radar work?

Phased array radar works by using a series of antennas that are connected to a computer-controlled beamformer. The beamformer controls the phase and amplitude of the signals sent to each antenna, allowing for precise control of the radar beam direction and shape.

3. What are the advantages of phased array radar?

Phased array radar offers several advantages over traditional radar systems, including faster scanning and tracking, increased flexibility and agility, and improved accuracy and resolution. It also has a lower probability of detection and is less susceptible to jamming.

4. What are some common applications of phased array radar?

Phased array radar is used in a variety of applications, including air and missile defense, weather monitoring, air traffic control, and space surveillance. It is also used in military and civilian aircraft for navigation and collision avoidance.

5. Is there a primer available on phased array radar?

Yes, there are many resources available for learning about phased array radar. Some recommended sources include books, online tutorials, and courses offered by universities or professional organizations. It is also helpful to consult with experts in the field or attend conferences and workshops related to phased array radar.