Poisson, relativists toolkit, problem 1.3: Timelike geodesic parametrised by a non-affine parameter

Gleeson
Homework Statement
(a) Let ##x^a(\lambda)## describe a timelike geodesic parametrised by a non-affine parameter ##\lambda##, and let ##t^a = \frac{dx^a}{d \lambda}## be the geodesic's tangent vector. Calculate how ##\epsilon := -t_at^a## changes as a function of ##\lambda##.

(b) Let ##\xi^a## be a killing vector. Calculate how ##p := \xi_at^a## changes as a function of lambda on that same geodesic.

(c) Let ##v^a## be such that in a spacetime with metric ##g_{ab}##, ##Lie_vg_{ab} = 2cg_{ab}##, where c is a constant. (Such a vector is called homothetic.) Let ##x^a(\tau)## describe a timelike geodesic parametrised by proper time ##\tau##, and let ##u^a = \frac{d x^a}{d \tau}## be the four-velocity. Calculate how ##q = v_a u^a## changes with ##\tau##.
Relevant Equations
As above
For (a) and (b), since the geodesic is not affinely parametrised, we have that ##t^a\nabla_a t^b = f(\lambda) t^b##, for some function f.

As a results, for (a) I get that ##t^a \nabla_a \epsilon = 2 f(\lambda) \epsilon##. And for (b) I get that ##t^a \nabla_a p = f(\lambda) p##. (I can write out why I got those answers if needed.)

My suspicion is that I am doing something wrong, since I think it is strange to need to give the answer in terms of some unknown function that I introduced.

I'd appreciate some assistance please.

1. What is a timelike geodesic parametrised by a non-affine parameter?

A timelike geodesic is a curve in spacetime that represents the path of a freely falling particle with a nonzero rest mass. When parametrised by a non-affine parameter, the curve is not necessarily proportional to the proper time experienced by the particle along the path.

2. How is a timelike geodesic different from a null geodesic?

A timelike geodesic is followed by massive particles, such as electrons or protons, while a null geodesic is followed by massless particles, such as photons. Additionally, a timelike geodesic has a non-zero interval squared, while a null geodesic has an interval squared of zero.

3. What is the significance of parametrising a timelike geodesic by a non-affine parameter?

Parametrising a timelike geodesic by a non-affine parameter allows for a more general description of the particle's motion, as it does not constrain the parameter to be proportional to the proper time. This can be useful in certain physical scenarios where the proper time may not be the most appropriate parameter to use.

4. How is the motion of a particle along a timelike geodesic affected by the choice of parametrisation?

The choice of parametrisation can affect how the particle's velocity and acceleration are described along the geodesic. Using a non-affine parameter can lead to more complex expressions for these quantities compared to using an affine parameter, which simplifies the equations of motion.

5. Are there practical applications of studying timelike geodesics parametrised by non-affine parameters?

Studying timelike geodesics parametrised by non-affine parameters can be relevant in general relativity and cosmology, where the motion of particles in curved spacetime is of interest. Understanding how different parametrisations affect the description of particle trajectories can provide insights into the behavior of matter in gravitational fields.