Which Angle Convention Is Most Common in Spherical Coordinates, Theta or Phi?

In summary, there is a difference in notation for the polar and azimuth angles in different countries and fields of study. In the USA, the standard notation is to use theta as the angle in the xy-plane and phi as the angle from the xy-plane to the z-axis. However, in the UK and most of the rest of the world, the notation is reversed. This can lead to confusion and it is important to clarify the definitions in each context. The international standard ISO 80000-2 and the Russian standard GOST 54521-2011 both use theta for the polar angle and phi for the azimuth angle. It is important to be aware of these differences and apply them consistently.
skate_nerd
Kind of just a general question...I took a theoretical physics class last semester and we went through this whole book "Div, Grad, Curl, and All That Vector Calculus". Now I'm in an upper division E&M class and we're using Griffith's "Intro to Electrodynamics". In my 3rd semester of calculus and in the theoretical physics class, I got very accustomed to using phi as the angle coming from the z-axis to the xy-plane, and theta as the angle in the xy-plane.

Well I just got like half the problems wrong on our first homework to use spherical coordinates in E&M, because I didn't realize the author does it the other way around. While I'm a little frustrated, I'm mostly just looking to see what you all think is the most accepted version.

Is it more common/valid to use theta as the angle in the xy-plane or as the angle from the xy-plane to the z-axis? I feel like it makes more sense to me to have theta as the angle in the xy-plane because when I first learned polar coordinates in 2 dimensions, it was r and theta, and we were always working in the xy-plane.
Anyways, let me know what you guys think.

Physics news on Phys.org
skatenerd said:
Is it more common/valid to use theta as the angle in the xy-plane or as the angle from the xy-plane to the z-axis? I feel like it makes more sense to me to have theta as the angle in the xy-plane because when I first learned polar coordinates in 2 dimensions, it was r and theta, and we were always working in the xy-plane.
Anyways, let me know what you guys think.

In USA, Calculus books are standardized and are all copy-and-pastes of one another (not that the books are any bad, the books have amazing quality to them, rather that all of them are essentially identical) with a few exceptions like Spivak and Apostol. In those Calculus books the standard notation for the $z$-axis angle is $\varphi$ and the standard notation for the polar angle is $\theta$.

I have a book, "Analytic Methods of Partial Differencial Equations", that uses $\varphi$ for the polar angle and $\theta$ for the $z$-axis angle. This book was written in the UK.

Perhaps, there is a different notational standard in the UK than in the USA.

Another common notational difference, inside the USA, is that the math courses all use $z$-axis as the axis going up while engineering courses all use $z$-axis as coming out of the board.

That's weird about the difference between engineering and maths x, y, and z axes. You would think since engineering tends to be more physically applied, they would want z to represent "up", right? Kind of odd...

I guess I should just try to get used to recognizing by reflex which angle is which no matter the convention the author is using. Thanks for the info

I've seen this issue a number of times before and seen various comments on it internationally.

It appears that the USA mathematics books are the odd ones out.
They define $\theta$ as the azimuthal angle with the x-axis and $\varphi$ as the angle with the z-axis (the co-latitude angle).

Most of the rest of the world, including USA engineering books, use $\varphi$ as the azimuthal angle and $\theta$ as the angle with the z-axis.

It means that in practice you always have to get the definitions straight, depending on context, and then apply them consistently.

Last edited:
ThePerfectHacker said:
In those Calculus books the standard notation for the $z$-axis angle is $\varphi$ and the standard notation for the polar angle is $\theta$.
The polar angle is the angle between the radius vector and the $z$ axis, i.e., the direction to the North pole (Wikipedia).

The international standard ISO 80000-2:2009 "Mathematical signs and symbols to be used in the natural sciences and technology", chapter 16, as well as its predecessor ISO 31-11 (see the "Coordinate systems" section) posits that $\varphi$ should denote the azimuth angle (on the reference plane) and $\theta$ (in fact, it uses $\vartheta$) should denote the polar angle. The ISO 80000-2 standard apparently costs 140 Swiss francs, but it is possible to find a copy online.

In Russia, the standard GOST 54521-2011 seems to follow ISO 80000-2 and also uses $\theta$ for the polar angle and $\varphi$ for the azimuth angle. I was teaching analytic geometry last semester, and the two textbooks I used used $\theta$ to denote the latitude, or elevation, i.e., the angle between the radius vector and the reference plane. If I get to teach this course next year, I'll follow the standard instead.

Last edited:

Related to Which Angle Convention Is Most Common in Spherical Coordinates, Theta or Phi?

1. What are polar and azimuthal angles?

Polar and azimuthal angles are a set of coordinates used to describe the direction of a point in three-dimensional space. They are commonly used in physics and engineering to specify the orientation of objects or the direction of forces.

2. How are polar and azimuthal angles different?

The main difference between polar and azimuthal angles is the reference plane they use. Polar angles are measured from the vertical axis, also known as the polar axis, while azimuthal angles are measured from the horizontal axis, also known as the azimuthal axis.

3. What is the range of values for polar and azimuthal angles?

Polar angles range from 0 to 180 degrees or 0 to π radians, while azimuthal angles range from 0 to 360 degrees or 0 to 2π radians. However, some systems may use different conventions for the range of values.

4. How are polar and azimuthal angles used in science?

Polar and azimuthal angles are used in various fields of science, such as astronomy, physics, and geology, to specify the direction of objects or forces. They are also used in coordinate systems to locate points in three-dimensional space.

5. What is the relationship between polar and azimuthal angles?

The relationship between polar and azimuthal angles can be visualized using a spherical coordinate system. The polar angle determines the distance from the origin, while the azimuthal angle determines the direction from a reference point. Together, they specify the exact location of a point in three-dimensional space.