Creating Metric Describing Large Disk

Onyx
TL;DR Summary
How can I create a metric describing the space outside a large disk, like an elliptical galaxy?
How can I create a metric describing the space outside a large disk, like an elliptical galaxy? In cylindrical coordinates, ##\phi## would be the angle restricted the the plane, as ##\rho## would be the radius restricted to the plane. I think that if ##z## is suppressed to create an embedding function with just ##\rho## and ##\phi##, it would look very much like the Schwarzschild case, since it is a circle in the plane. But if I suppressed ##\phi##, I think the embedding function of that plane would have arguments of both ##\rho## and ##z##, and it would look more oblong. So I feel like the metric must have these features, but I'm not sure specifically in what arrangment.

Physics news on Phys.org
Onyx said:
TL;DR Summary: How can I create a metric describing the space outside a large disk, like an elliptical galaxy?
Take a look at this 1996 Helvetica Physica Acta paper and its references:

Relativistically rotating dust
by G. Neugebauer, A. Kleinwachter and R. Meinel
Abstract: Dust configurations play an important role in astrophysics and are the simplest models for rotating bodies. The physical properties of the general–relativistic global solution for the rigidly rotating disk of dust, which has been found recently as the solution of a boundary value problem, are discussed.

Available here: https://arxiv.org/pdf/gr-qc/0301107.pdf

Likes Ibix
This seems right if considering a significantly rotating disk, but unless I'm mistaken most galaxies don't rotate very fast in proportion to their disk radius. I found another metric describing a stationary and static ellipse, as described in this paper. However, I don't understand why the ##g_{tt}## term is still the same as in the Schwarzschild case; since this metric does not have spherical symmetry, I would have thought it would be different.

Attachments

• Schwarzschild-Like_Solution_for_Ellipsoidal_Celest.pdf
    155.3 KB · Views: 48
Onyx said:
I found another metric describing a stationary and static ellipse, as described in this paper.
I wouldn't rely on this paper. It appears in International Journal of the Physical Sciences from "Academic Journals", which is on Beall's list of predatory publishers. Can you find this same metric in a proper journal or textbook?

Likes vanhees71 and PeterDonis

1. What is a metric for describing large disk?

A metric for describing large disk is the total storage capacity, typically measured in bytes or a multiple of bytes (such as kilobytes, megabytes, gigabytes, etc.). This metric gives a numerical value to the amount of data that can be stored on the disk.

2. How is the metric for large disk calculated?

The metric for large disk is calculated by multiplying the number of disk platters by the number of tracks per platter, the number of sectors per track, and the sector size. This calculation gives the total storage capacity of the disk in bytes.

3. What is the difference between physical and logical disk size?

The physical disk size refers to the actual size of the disk, including the physical components such as platters and heads. The logical disk size refers to the storage capacity of the disk, which is calculated based on the number of sectors and their size.

4. How does the metric for large disk impact performance?

The metric for large disk can impact performance by determining the amount of data that can be stored on the disk, which in turn affects the speed at which data can be accessed and transferred. A larger storage capacity can lead to improved performance, as more data can be stored and accessed at once.

5. Are there any other metrics used to describe large disk?

In addition to storage capacity, other metrics used to describe large disk include disk rotation speed (measured in revolutions per minute), data transfer rate (measured in megabytes per second), and access time (measured in milliseconds). These metrics provide information about the speed and efficiency of the disk in terms of data retrieval and transfer.