Polarization Basis: Measuring Entangled Photons in 45/135

In summary, the conversation discussed the use of entangled photons in experiments and the different measurement bases that can be used. The +/- basis was questioned as being associated with the 45/135 basis, but it was not seen before. It was later found that in the delayed choice entanglement swapping experiment, the notation |+> and |-> represents the polarization states in the 45/135 basis. This was confirmed by 'The Quantum Divide' by Chris Gerry, on page 111.
StevieTNZ
I have a quick, general, query.

When conducting an experiment with entangled photons, measuring in the +/- basis would mean in the 45/135 basis?

Physics news on Phys.org
StevieTNZ said:
When conducting an experiment with entangled photons, measuring in the +/- basis would mean in the 45/135 basis?

I don't think I've seen that notation before (45/135 associated with +/-).

DrChinese said:
I don't think I've seen that notation before (45/135 associated with +/-).
Same. I am just wondering what the basis is also known as. I'm referring to the delayed choice entanglement swapping experiment from 2012. They denote polarization, when a bell-state measurement occurred, as |+> and |->

https://arxiv.org/vc/arxiv/papers/1203/1203.4834v1.pdf

Found the answer: it is indeed denoting the |45> and |135> basis. Thank you, 'The Quantum Divide' by Chris Gerry, pg. 111.

Related to Polarization Basis: Measuring Entangled Photons in 45/135

1. What is polarization basis?

Polarization basis refers to the orientation of the electric field of a photon. It can be described by the angle of the electric field relative to a reference direction, such as horizontal or vertical.

2. How is polarization basis measured?

In the context of entangled photons, polarization basis is measured using a polarizing beam splitter, which separates the photons based on their polarization orientation. This allows for the measurement of the photons' polarization states.

3. What is the significance of measuring entangled photons in 45/135 polarization basis?

Measuring entangled photons in 45/135 polarization basis allows for the detection of quantum entanglement between the photons. This means that the polarization states of the photons are correlated, even when they are physically separated from each other.

4. How is measuring entangled photons in 45/135 polarization basis useful?

This type of measurement is useful for various applications in quantum information and communication technologies. It can be used for secure communication, quantum teleportation, and quantum cryptography.

5. What are the limitations of measuring entangled photons in 45/135 polarization basis?

The main limitation is the difficulty in creating and maintaining entangled photon pairs. This process is challenging and requires precise control and manipulation of photons. Additionally, the measurement process can be affected by external factors such as noise and decoherence, which can decrease the accuracy of the results.