Polarization coincidence formula for known polarization?

In summary: Otherwise, you've got it.In summary, entangled photons from a same-polarization source have their polarization measured at 120 degrees difference from each other. According to the simplified Bell-theorem and Bell-test explanations, the chance for coincidence will always be 25% as long as the measuring angles are 120 degrees apart. If both photons pass through an initial polarizer at 0 degrees before being measured, they are no longer entangled and will behave as independent photons. When measuring them at different angles, no "spooky action" relationship is observed between them. The chance of coincidence when measuring at 120 and 240 degrees is approximately 62%, which follows classical odds. However, it is possible for a pair of
georgir
Two entangled photons from a same-polarization source have their polarization measured at 120 deg difference from each other. If I understood right all the simplified Bell-theorem and Bell-test explanations out there, QM and experiments say the chance for coincidence will be 25% no matter which two measuring angles we select, as long as they are 120deg from each other.

Now what if both photons are known to have passed through an initial polarizer at 0 deg before we measure?
Are the two photons still entangled, i.e. if we measure both at the same angle (but not necessarily the 0 deg of the initial polarizer) are they still guaranteed to coincide?
And if we measure them at different angles, do we get any "spooky action" relationship between them?

Or do we just get two independent known-polarization photons?

If we measure them at 120 deg and 240 deg, do we get the classically explainable 25%*25% + 75%*75% = 62% chance of coincidence? I guess this is a particularly stupid question as any other coincidence will be completely impossible and break reality and the world will end :p But I just want to make sure...

[EDIT: I might have incorrectly doubled all the measurement angles... oops.]

Physics news on Phys.org
georgir said:
1. Two entangled photons from a same-polarization source have their polarization measured at 120 deg difference from each other. If I understood right all the simplified Bell-theorem and Bell-test explanations out there, QM and experiments say the chance for coincidence will be 25% no matter which two measuring angles we select, as long as they are 120deg from each other.

2. Now what if both photons are known to have passed through an initial polarizer at 0 deg before we measure?

Are the two photons still entangled, i.e. if we measure both at the same angle (but not necessarily the 0 deg of the initial polarizer) are they still guaranteed to coincide?
And if we measure them at different angles, do we get any "spooky action" relationship between them?

Or do we just get two independent known-polarization photons?

3. If we measure them at 120 deg and 240 deg, do we get the classically explainable 25%*25% + 75%*75% = 62% chance of coincidence? I guess this is a particularly stupid question as any other coincidence will be completely impossible and break reality and the world will end :p But I just want to make sure...

[EDIT: I might have incorrectly doubled all the measurement angles... oops.]

1. This is good.

2. Once either polarization entangled photon is measured at 0 degrees, subsequent results will be as if they are both at 0 degrees and they are independent. So product state statistics result.

3. Something like this, yes. Classical odds.

A minor detail you may already know: it is possible for a pair of photons to be entangled but not on the polarization basis. That could occur in your example 2.

What is the polarization coincidence formula for known polarization?

The polarization coincidence formula for known polarization is a mathematical equation used to calculate the probability of two particles with known polarizations being detected in the same direction. It takes into account the angle between the two polarizations and the efficiency of the detectors.

Why is the polarization coincidence formula important?

The polarization coincidence formula is important because it allows us to calculate the probability of detecting particles with known polarizations in a specific direction. This is useful in experiments involving quantum entanglement and can also provide insights into the nature of quantum mechanics.

How is the polarization coincidence formula derived?

The polarization coincidence formula is derived from the principles of quantum mechanics, specifically the concept of superposition. It takes into account the quantum states of the two particles and the measurement of their polarizations in order to calculate the probability of coincidence.

What are the assumptions made in the polarization coincidence formula?

The polarization coincidence formula assumes that the two particles have known polarizations, that the detectors are efficient, and that there is no external influence affecting the measurements. It also assumes a non-relativistic scenario and that the particles are independent of each other.

Are there any limitations to the polarization coincidence formula?

Yes, the polarization coincidence formula has limitations. It only applies to non-relativistic scenarios and assumes that the particles are independent of each other. It also does not take into account any external influences that may affect the measurements. Additionally, it is only applicable for particles with known polarizations.