Polarization of an EM wave passing through another medium

Then use $\sin \theta = x$ to find $\theta$.In summary, the question asks to determine the incidence angle at which the reflected wave has a polarization vector making an angle of 90° with respect to the plane of incidence. This can be solved by using Fresnel's equations and Snell's law, resulting in a system of 2 equations with 2 unknowns. The solution involves substituting $\sin \theta = x$ and solving for $x$, then using this value to find the incidence angle.
fluidistic
Gold Member

Homework Statement

2 media whose refractive indices are 1 and n respectively are separated by a flat interface.
An EM plane wave goes from medium 1 to medium 2 with a polarization vector making an angle of 45° with the plane of incidence.
Determine the incidence angle for which the reflected wave has a polarization vector making an angle of 90° with respect to the plane of incidence. Show that in this case the polarization vector of the refracted wave forms an angle with the normal of the plane of incidence such that [itex]\tan \theta= \left [ \frac{1}{2} \left ( n+ \frac{1}{n} \right ) \right ][/itex].

Homework Equations

Fresnel's.

The Attempt at a Solution

At first I was lost, I didn't know which equations to use. All the equations I've seen seem to be dealing with the magnitude of the amplitude of the electric field of the EM waves and not their phase. But I think I can use a Fresnel equation.
In the case that the incident wave has a polarization vector making an angle of 45° with respect to the incident plane, it means that there's a component alongside the plane of incidence and another along an orthogonal line to it. In other words if the plane wave is linearly polarized which I believe is ok, and if the plane of incidence is the y-z plane then I can write [itex]\vec E =E_0(\hat x + \hat z) e^{i(ky - \omega t)}[/itex].
Now for the reflected wave to make an angle of 90° with respect to the incident plane, it means it should have no [itex]\hat y[/itex] component, so using a Fresnel equation (formula #3 at https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fresnel_equations#Formulas), the condition is [itex]r_p=0[/itex] so that [itex]n \cos \theta_i = \cos \theta _t[/itex] (1). Alsong with Snell's law [itex]\sin \theta_i = n \sin \theta_t[/itex] (2), I've got a system of 2 equations with 2 unknowns. My problem is that it's way too horrible to solve by hand.
I get that [itex]\theta_i=\arctan [n^2 \tan [\arcsin (\frac{1}{n} \sin \theta_i)]][/itex]. Of course I'm stuck on solving for [itex]\theta_i[/itex]. Thus I guess I goofed somewhere but I really don't see it. Or maybe there's a huge simplification I've not seen...
Thanks for any help!

Physics news on Phys.org
A:You have to solve $\tan \theta = \left [ \frac{1}{2} \left ( n+ \frac{1}{n} \right ) \right ]$ for $\theta$.Substitute $\sin \theta = x$ and then solve $\sin \theta_i = \frac{1}{n}x$ for $x$. Then $\tan \theta = \left [ \frac{1}{2} \left ( n+ \frac{1}{n} \right ) \right ] \Rightarrow \tan \theta = \frac{1}{2} \left ( n+ \frac{1}{n} \right ) \frac{1}{x} \Rightarrow \theta = \arctan \left ( \frac{1}{2} \left ( n+ \frac{1}{n} \right ) \frac{1}{x} \right )$.

What is polarization of an EM wave?

Polarization of an electromagnetic (EM) wave refers to the orientation of the electric field vector as the wave propagates through space. This orientation can be linear, circular, or elliptical, and it determines the direction in which the wave oscillates.

How does an EM wave pass through another medium?

When an EM wave encounters a new medium, it can be partially or completely reflected, refracted, or absorbed. The extent to which these processes occur depends on the properties of the medium, such as its density and refractive index, and the frequency and polarization of the wave.

What happens to the polarization of an EM wave when it passes through a medium?

The polarization of an EM wave can change when it passes through a medium. This is because the interaction between the wave and the particles in the medium can cause the electric field vector to be reoriented. This is known as polarization by scattering and can result in the wave having a different polarization than when it entered the medium.

How does the refractive index of a medium affect the polarization of an EM wave?

The refractive index of a medium is a measure of how much the speed of light is reduced when it travels through that medium. The higher the refractive index, the slower the speed of light. This can affect the polarization of an EM wave by causing it to bend or refract as it passes through the medium, which can in turn change its polarization.

Can the polarization of an EM wave be controlled?

Yes, the polarization of an EM wave can be controlled by using devices such as polarizers or wave plates. These devices are designed to alter the orientation of the electric field vector of the wave, allowing for manipulation of the wave's polarization. This is important in many applications, such as in telecommunications and optics.