Polarization state conventions

In summary: If the phase is increasing and one is leading by -pi/2, then this is leading. If the phase is decreasing and one is leading by pi/2, then this is leading.
leroyjenkens
Ok, so I keep reading about these concepts and every source says something different. Even within the same textbook, it says conflicting things.
So you have a circularly polarized light that is coming TOWARDS you. That is considered left-circularly polarized or right-circularly polarized? I've seen both stated.
And if you have two equations, one with no [itex]\epsilon[/itex] given for the initial phase, and the other with an initial phase of +[itex]\pi[/itex]/2, which one is lagging and which one is leading? I've seen sources that say the no initial phase is leading and some that say the no initial phase is lagging.
Thanks

Science news on Phys.org
leroyjenkens said:
So you have a circularly polarized light that is coming TOWARDS you. That is considered left-circularly polarized or right-circularly polarized? I've seen both stated.
It can be both, depending on its polarization ;). "Left" and "right" is independent of your viewing direction.

And if you have two equations, one with no [itex]\epsilon[/itex] given for the initial phase, and the other with an initial phase of +[itex]\pi[/itex]/2, which one is lagging and which one is leading? I've seen sources that say the no initial phase is leading and some that say the no initial phase is lagging.
Thanks
Depending on the definition of that phase in your equation.

I left out part of my question on that first one. I meant to ask if the electric field vector is rotating counter clockwise, with you seeing it as it's coming towards you, is that right-circularly polarized or left-circularly polarized. My book says right, which seems backwards. It's rotating left, but it's called right?

The definition of the phase in the equation is where the wave starts. So if it has +π/2 as its initial phase, that means it starts further along the x-axis (one half wavelength further) than the other wave. Is that considered leading or lagging?

Thanks.

As a scientist, it is important to understand that scientific concepts and conventions can vary slightly between sources and may even change over time as new research and understanding emerges. In the case of polarization state conventions, it is important to consult reliable sources and understand the context in which the concepts are being discussed.

To address the first part of your question, circularly polarized light can be described as either left-circularly polarized or right-circularly polarized depending on the direction of the electric field vector. This can be confusing because the direction of the electric field vector is often represented using a right-hand rule, which can be interpreted differently depending on the orientation of the observer. It is important to clarify which convention is being used in a particular source to avoid confusion.

Regarding the second part of your question, the initial phase in equations for polarization often refers to the initial position of the electric field vector in its oscillation cycle. In this case, a phase of +π/2 would correspond to a lagging state, while no initial phase would correspond to a leading state. Again, it is important to consult reliable sources and understand the context in which these conventions are being used.

In summary, it is important to carefully consider the context and conventions being used when studying scientific concepts such as polarization states. Consulting multiple reliable sources and seeking clarification when needed can help to ensure a thorough understanding of the topic.

1. What are polarization state conventions?

Polarization state conventions refer to a set of rules or standards used to describe the state of polarization of a light wave. This includes the direction and orientation of the electric field vector as well as its amplitude and phase.

2. Why do we use polarization state conventions?

We use polarization state conventions to accurately and consistently describe the polarization of light. This is important in various fields such as optics, telecommunications, and remote sensing, where precise understanding and manipulation of polarization is necessary.

3. What are the different polarization state conventions?

There are several polarization state conventions, including the Stokes parameters convention, the Jones calculus convention, and the Mueller matrix convention. Each convention has its own advantages and is used in different applications.

4. How do polarization state conventions differ from each other?

The main difference between polarization state conventions lies in the mathematical representation used to describe the polarization state. For example, the Jones calculus convention uses complex numbers while the Mueller matrix convention uses a matrix representation.

5. Can different polarization state conventions be converted into each other?

Yes, it is possible to convert between different polarization state conventions using mathematical transformations. However, this conversion may result in some loss of information and is not always straightforward.