Polarization in Rabi oscillations

In summary: By the way, you should talk about ##\sigma^+## and ##\sigma^-## polarizations, not left and right handed, as the latter depend on the direction of propagation of the light.
Malamala
Hello! I have 2 levels, with quantum numbers ##(J=0,m_J=0)## and ##(J=1,m_J=1)## and I am a bit confused about whether I can drive Rabi oscillations between them with a fixed laser polarization. Assuming I start in the ##(J=0,m_J=0)##, I would need right-circularly polarized light to drive that transition, however once the electron gets to the ##(J=1,m_J=1)## (basically after a ##\pi##-pulse), will the electron come back to the initial state if I keep applying the right-circularly polarized light? Given that this situation is equivalent to starting in ##(J=1,m_J=1)##, I would need a left-circularly polarized light to drive this transition. So will the electron just stay in ##(J=1,m_J=1)## forever (ignoring other states and lifetimes) unless I change the polarization? Thank you!

Physics news on Phys.org
Malamala said:
So will the electron just stay in (J=1,mJ=1) forever (ignoring other states and lifetimes) unless I change the polarization?
Yep. If you ignore spontaneous emission (and other states), then the atom will stay in the J=0, mJ=0 state forever.

Twigg said:
Yep. If you ignore spontaneous emission (and other states), then the atom will stay in the J=0, mJ=0 state forever.
Thank you! I assume you meant ##J=1, m_J=1##, right? So the only way to get Rabi oscillations (in an ideal 2 levels system) is to use a linearly polarized light, such that the transition can happen both ways?

Malamala said:
Hello! I have 2 levels, with quantum numbers ##(J=0,m_J=0)## and ##(J=1,m_J=1)## and I am a bit confused about whether I can drive Rabi oscillations between them with a fixed laser polarization. Assuming I start in the ##(J=0,m_J=0)##, I would need right-circularly polarized light to drive that transition, however once the electron gets to the ##(J=1,m_J=1)## (basically after a ##\pi##-pulse), will the electron come back to the initial state if I keep applying the right-circularly polarized light? Given that this situation is equivalent to starting in ##(J=1,m_J=1)##, I would need a left-circularly polarized light to drive this transition. So will the electron just stay in ##(J=1,m_J=1)## forever (ignoring other states and lifetimes) unless I change the polarization? Thank you!
No, it a single polarization of light that couples the two states. the ##(J=1,m_J=1) \rightarrow (J=0,m_J=0)## transition is stimulated emission, not absorption.

Likes TSny
DrClaude said:
No, it a single polarization of light that couples the two states. the ##(J=1,m_J=1) \rightarrow (J=0,m_J=0)## transition is stimulated emission, not absorption.
But my question is about Rabi oscillations. Don't Rabi oscillations involve both stimulated transition and absorption? As far as I can see, to go from ##(J=0,m_J=0)## to ##(J=1,m_J=1)## you need the opposite polarization relative to going from ##(J=1,m_J=1)## to ##(J=0,m_J=0)##. So it seems like you can't have a full, ##2\pi## Rabi oscillation between these 2 levels if your polarization is either left or right handed, as you'd get stuck in one of the 2 levels after a ##\pi## pulse.

##\Delta m= +1## on absorption requires ##\sigma^+## light while ##\Delta m= -1## on emission is ##\sigma^+## light. It is the same polarization in both cases.

By the way, you should talk about ##\sigma^+## and ##\sigma^-## polarizations, not left and right handed, as the latter depend on the direction of propagation of the light.

Likes Malamala

What is polarization in Rabi oscillations?

Polarization in Rabi oscillations refers to the alignment of the electric field of a light beam with the magnetic dipole moment of an atom or molecule. It is a quantum phenomenon that occurs when an external electromagnetic field interacts with the internal energy levels of the atom or molecule, causing it to oscillate between two energy states.

How does polarization affect Rabi oscillations?

Polarization plays a crucial role in Rabi oscillations as it determines the strength and direction of the electric field that interacts with the atom or molecule. The polarization of the external field can either enhance or suppress the Rabi oscillations, depending on the alignment between the electric field and the magnetic dipole moment of the atom or molecule.

What factors influence the polarization in Rabi oscillations?

The polarization in Rabi oscillations is influenced by several factors, including the strength and frequency of the external electromagnetic field, the energy difference between the two energy states of the atom or molecule, and the orientation of the magnetic dipole moment with respect to the external field. The polarization can also be affected by any external magnetic or electric fields present.

How is polarization measured in Rabi oscillations?

Polarization in Rabi oscillations can be measured through techniques such as polarimetry, which involves analyzing the changes in the polarization of a light beam after it interacts with the atom or molecule. Other methods include using a polarizer to measure the intensity of the transmitted light and analyzing the polarization-dependent fluorescence of the atom or molecule.

What are some applications of polarization in Rabi oscillations?

Polarization in Rabi oscillations has various applications, including quantum computing, atomic clocks, and precision measurements. It is also used in spectroscopy techniques to study the energy levels and properties of atoms and molecules. Additionally, polarization in Rabi oscillations plays a crucial role in manipulating and controlling the quantum states of particles, which has potential applications in quantum information processing and communication.