Pole vaulter landing on a mat

• Thread starter bane32
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Pole
In summary, the conversation discusses calculating the normal force from a thick mat that a pole vaulter falls onto after completing a jump. The exercise asks for the magnitude of the average force exerted by the mat on the vaulter during the impact, but there is not enough information given to calculate the average force. The person giving the summary also reminds the original poster to be careful not to ignore the effects of gravity during the impact.
bane32
Homework Statement
Len is a 60 kg pole vaulter and he falls from a peak height of 5.4 meters after pole-vaulting over the crossbar set at that height. He lands on a thick mat and when he first makes contact with the mat, his centre of gravity is only 1.08 meters high. During Len's impact with the mat, it undergoes a maximum compression when his vertical velocity reaches 0 m/s and his centre of gravity is only 0.5 meters high. What is the magnitude (ignore direction) of the average force in Newtons exerted by the mat on Len during this impact?
Relevant Equations
Not exactly sure which ones to use for this.

I know that PE=mgh, SE=1/2(k)( x squared) and KE=1/2(m)(v squared)
Need to find normal force from the mat.

Physics news on Phys.org
Hello @bane32 ,
:welcome: !​

bane32 said:
Homework Statement:: Len is a 60 kg pole vaulter and he falls from a peak height of 5.4 meters after pole-vaulting over the crossbar set at that height. He lands on a thick mat and when he first makes contact with the mat, his centre of gravity is only 1.08 meters high. During Len's impact with the mat, it undergoes a maximum compression when his vertical velocity reaches 0 m/s and his centre of gravity is only 0.5 meters high. What is the magnitude (ignore direction) of the average force in Newtons exerted by the mat on Len during this impact?
Relevant Equations:: Not exactly sure which ones to use for this.
I know that PE=mgh, SE=1/2(k)( x squared) and KE=1/2(m)(v squared)

Need to to find normal force from the mat.
Sounds like a good idea. However, I don't see a relevant equation with a force in it ? Do you know one :wink: ?

##\ ##

I know that his starting PE=3175.2 J based on his starting height of 5.4 meters above the ground. I know that as he falls, his PE gets converted to KE. It seems like when he first hits the mat at 1.08 m, his KE=3175.2 - (60)(9.8)(1.08)=2540.16 J.

What's throwing me off is what to do afterwards. The question mentions compression which I think would use the spring energy equation. But I'm lost for finding the normal force exerted by the mat in Newtons.

All very nice, but I still do not see a relevant equation featuring a force ...

bane32 said:
Homework Statement:: ... What is the magnitude (ignore direction) of the average force in Newtons exerted by the mat on Len during this impact?
Need to find normal force from the mat.
bane32 said:
The question mentions compression which I think would use the spring energy equation
Why not make life a little simpler: the exercise asks for an average force --- there is no spring aspect in this very inelastic 'collision'. Assume the mat exerts a constant force.

##\ ##

bane32 said:
I know that his starting PE=3175.2 J based on his starting height of 5.4 meters above the ground. I know that as he falls, his PE gets converted to KE. It seems like when he first hits the mat at 1.08 m, his KE=3175.2 - (60)(9.8)(1.08)=2540.16 J.
Ok, so you have calculated a KE, you are given a distance to stop in, and you are asked for a force. Does that jog your memory?
But be careful... gravity doesn’t suddenly switch off when he touches the mat.

There is one flaw with the problem, which @BvU knows I will leap on:
bane32 said:
What is the magnitude (ignore direction) of the average force in Newtons exerted by the mat on Len during this impact?
You do not have enough information to calculate the average force. The question should say "what is the force, given that it is constant". If you were to assume a spring (but which doesn't expand again after being compressed), you would get a different answer.

Likes BvU

1. How does the mat help protect pole vaulters during landing?

The mat is designed to absorb the impact of the vaulter's landing, reducing the risk of injury. It is made of layers of foam and other materials that cushion the impact and distribute the force over a larger area.

2. What factors affect the effectiveness of the mat in protecting pole vaulters?

The thickness and density of the mat, as well as the material it is made of, can affect its ability to absorb impact. The height and weight of the vaulter, as well as the angle and speed of their descent, also play a role in how effective the mat is in protecting them.

3. How do you determine the appropriate thickness and density of the mat for pole vaulting?

There are specific guidelines and regulations set by governing bodies such as the International Association of Athletics Federations (IAAF) for the thickness and density of pole vault landing mats. These guidelines take into account the height and weight of the vaulter and the expected impact force.

4. Are there any other safety measures in place to protect pole vaulters during landing?

In addition to the landing mat, pole vaulters also wear protective gear such as helmets and padding on their shoulders, back, and hips. The landing area is also typically surrounded by a soft, padded barrier to prevent the vaulter from hitting any hard surfaces in case of a fall.

5. How often should the landing mat be replaced?

The landing mat should be regularly inspected for any signs of wear and tear, and replaced as needed. The frequency of replacement will depend on the usage and maintenance of the mat, but it is generally recommended to replace it every 2-3 years to ensure maximum safety for the vaulter.