How Fast Was the Car Moving in the Radar Speed Trap Experiment?

In summary: You could try varying the values of f and L, or trying different values for the distance between the sources and the distance to the car.
C F

Homework Statement

[Answer is V = 25m/s, however, how do I get that answer? Thank you!] A police cruiser sets up a novel radar speed trap, consisting of two transmitting antennas at the edge of a main north-south road. One antenna is 2.0 m [W] of the other. The antennas, essentially point sources of continuous radio waves, are fed from a common transmitter with a frequency of 9 3.0 10 ^9 Hz . The trap is set for cars traveling south. A motorist drive a car equipped with a “radar detector” along an east-west road that crosses the main road at a level intersection 100 m [N] of the radar trap. The motorist hears a series of beeps upon driving west through the intersection. The time interval between succesive quiet spots is 0.2s as the car crosses the main road. How fast is the car moving?

The Attempt at a Solution

Unfortunately I cannot figure out a way to get V = 25 m/s, however that is the answer. It seems as though there are too many unknowns. Any help would be appreciated, thank you.

Physics news on Phys.org
Welcome to the PF. :smile:

Can you post a diagram of the problem? If none was supplied, you can just upload a PDF or JPEG copy of the sketch that you have made.

What are the Relevant Equations (that's #2 on the Template -- it looks like you deleted that section).

What causes "Beeps" in this problem?

Likes C F
Hi C F,

Welcome to Physics Forums!

Can you show us what you have tried? We need to see where you're going off track, and the forum rules don't allow helpers to chime in until they've got something from you to work with.

Likes C F
Hello sir. I've spent literally 4 hours trying to solve this.
Basically the given variables are

wavelength = ?
velocity = ?
delta x (nodal line distance) = ?
f = 3.0 * 10^9 Hz
d = 2.0 m
L = 1.0 * 10^2 m
t = 0.20 s

The equations that are relevant are
v = f * wavelength (universal wave equations)
delta x = t * v
delta x / L = wavelength /d

The beeps represent constructive interference and the quiet sports represent nodal lines (destructive interference).

I drew a diagram and know from the question that delta x (distance) is 0.2 s. So if I knew the velocity then I could get delta x. Hence the reason why I wrote the equation.

To approach the question what I did was to actually make system of equations but then noticed that the unknown variables just cancel out on each other and cannot be solved.
The system of equations will be three unknowns with two unknowns on each. However since there is no addition and it's just a pure relationship it is holding me back.

I drew a diagram
image0.jpg

Attachments

• image0.jpg
    image0.jpg
    23.4 KB · Views: 434
Are you sure that the problem statement is exactly as it was give to you? No typos?

At 93 GHz frequency I'd think that the fringe spacing would be pretty short, less than a meter anyways at 100 m distance from the sources. If the correct answer is v = 25 m/s, then with a Δt between quiet zones of 0.2 s, the distance between the zones should be

##\Delta x = v \Delta t = 5 m##.

I don't see how to get that with the given values.

Although the distance between the sources is not terribly much smaller than the distance to the car, a rough approximation of the distance between fringes can be found as

##\Delta x \approx D \frac{\lambda}{d}## which gives ##\Delta x \approx 0.161\;m##.

How did you know the wave length (λ) when you said

"Δ x ≈ D λ / d which gives Δ x ≈ 0.161 m Δx≈0.161m." ?

I have been trying to solve for it.

Also why is the frequency 93 GHz when it is 3.0 * 10^9 Hz?

Thank you.

I want to know how to tweak with the relationships to get any of the unknown values. Could you please show me how?

C F said:
How did you know the wave length (λ) when you said
C F said:
Also why is the frequency 93 GHz when it is 3.0 * 10^9 Hz?
From your original post:
C F said:
...are fed from a common transmitter with a frequency of 9 3.0 10 ^9 Hz .
I assumed that the space between the 9 and 3 was a typo. That's why I asked about the problem statement being a faithful rendition of the original. The wavelength then became:

##\lambda = \frac{c}{f}##

This new information makes a lot of difference! Now we find:

##\Delta x \approx D \frac{\lambda}{d}## so that ##\Delta x \approx 4.997\;m## or near enough to 5 m as expected from the given answer.

C F said:
I want to know how to tweak with the relationships to get any of the unknown values. Could you please show me how?
We can't do it for you, only guide your own attempts that you show us. I can suggest that you look at web sites that show how interference works for the double slit experiment (this is just a fancy version of that). The Wikipedia entry in its Classical wave-optics formulation section might be helpful. It actually shows the same approximations that I used.

Likes berkeman

1. What is a police radar wave?

A police radar wave is a type of electromagnetic radiation that is used by law enforcement to measure the speed of moving vehicles. It works by sending out a high-frequency radio wave and then receiving the reflected wave from the moving vehicle. The time it takes for the wave to return is used to calculate the speed of the vehicle.

2. How accurate is police radar?

The accuracy of police radar can vary depending on several factors such as weather conditions, the angle of the radar device, and the distance between the radar and the vehicle. However, most radar devices used by law enforcement are required to have an accuracy of at least +/- 1 mph.

3. Can police radar be used in all weather conditions?

Police radar can be used in a variety of weather conditions, including rain, snow, and fog. However, extreme weather conditions can affect the accuracy of the radar readings. In cases of severe weather, law enforcement may choose to use other methods, such as pacing or visual estimation, to determine a vehicle's speed.

4. How far can police radar detect a vehicle's speed?

The distance at which police radar can detect a vehicle's speed depends on the type of radar device being used. Most radar devices used by law enforcement have a range of 1/4 to 2 miles. However, factors such as weather conditions and obstructions on the road can affect the range of the radar.

5. Can police radar detect the speed of multiple vehicles at once?

Yes, some radar devices used by law enforcement have the ability to detect the speed of multiple vehicles at once. This is known as "moving mode" and is commonly used on highways to monitor the speeds of multiple vehicles at a time. However, the accuracy of the readings may be affected when there are multiple vehicles in close proximity to each other.