Poll : Your cats' sleeping habits?

• Thread starter Hepth
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Poll
In summary, cats' sleeping habits vary greatly depending on their individual personalities and preferences. While some may sleep for long periods of time, others may be more active and sleep in frequent short bursts. The location and type of bed can also play a role in a cat's sleeping habits. Overall, understanding and accommodating a cat's unique sleeping patterns is important in providing a comfortable and happy environment for them.
Hepth
Gold Member
My wife and I are developing a small product in our spare time to sell on something like Etsy, for cats, and wanted to get a small sample poll of some simple sleeping habits of your cats. I hope this is OK to post here in GD.

The link is : https://docs.google.com/forms/d/1r9SNp1ZC3X_HeVd3ItVHCIjkEz6zMc2tPON1qC5RKlc/viewform

Its just 6 checkbox questions and don't feel like you need to leave your email. Feel free to leave any additional info at the bottom box! We kept it short because we didn't want it to feel like it would take more than 5 seconds to fill out.

Thanks!
-Hepth

Physics news on Phys.org
I bought my cat a bed a few years ago and he decided to pee in it. Now I just put out some blankets and he likes that.

I think my cat has Feline Chronic Fatigue Syndrome. Hard to say, though -- FCFS really difficult to diagnose.

:biggrin:

lisab said:
I think my cat has Feline Chronic Fatigue Syndrome. Hard to say, though -- FCFS really difficult to diagnose.

I think a lot of cats are faking it.

My cat back home seems to like to change his sleeping place often. There's a few places that have a good chance of finding him in, but he never has one preferred spot. That may have to do with trying to get away from people though.

Our (late) cat liked the bathroom sink.

A neighbor's cat spends most of the day sleeping on my doorstep (a concrete slab on a brick base), especially when it's warm and sunny.

I worry that one day I'm going to forget about this behaviour, and tread on its head on the way out of the house...

AlephZero said:
A neighbor's cat spends most of the day sleeping on my doorstep (a concrete slab on a brick base), especially when it's warm and sunny.

I worry that one day I'm going to forget about this behaviour, and tread on its head on the way out of the house...

:frown: Please watch your step, AZ!

lisab said:
:frown: Please watch your step, AZ!

Maybe it's playing Russian Cat Roulette with its nine lives, or something :biggrin:

If it does wake up when I open the door, it certainly doesn't open its eyes, or move.

AlephZero said:
Maybe it's playing Russian Cat Roulette with its nine lives, or something :biggrin:

If it does wake up when I open the door, it certainly doesn't open its eyes, or move.

Aaawwww how sweet, she/he trusts you :!)!

Thanks guys! Heres the current results, so far only about 25 people :

2ytw8io.png

I think I need to post it to a cat forum :)

1. How many hours a day do cats sleep?

On average, cats sleep for around 12-16 hours a day. However, this can vary depending on the age, health, and lifestyle of the cat. Kittens and older cats may sleep more, while active cats may sleep less.

2. Why do cats sleep so much?

Cats are natural predators and their sleep patterns are a result of their hunting instincts. They conserve energy by sleeping for long periods of time, and then use their energy bursts to hunt and play. Additionally, cats are crepuscular animals, meaning they are most active at dawn and dusk, so they may sleep during the day to be more alert during these times.

3. Do cats dream while sleeping?

Yes, cats do dream while sleeping. You may notice their paws twitching, their eyes moving under their eyelids, or even hear them making small noises. This is a sign that they are in the REM (rapid eye movement) stage of sleep, which is when dreams occur.

4. Is it normal for my cat to sleep in strange positions?

Yes, it is normal for cats to sleep in strange positions. Cats are very flexible and can contort their bodies in ways that may seem uncomfortable to us. As long as your cat looks comfortable and is able to move freely, there is no need to be concerned.

5. How can I improve my cat's sleeping habits?

To improve your cat's sleeping habits, make sure they have a comfortable and safe place to sleep, such as a cozy bed or a quiet spot in the house. Cats also appreciate routine, so try to stick to a consistent schedule for feeding and playtime. Additionally, providing mental and physical stimulation during the day will help your cat sleep better at night.