Poloidal current in toroidal solenoid

In summary, the conversation discusses the definition of a torus and its relevance to a physics problem involving a poloidal current in a toroidal solenoid. Mathematica is used to illustrate the torus and the poloidal current density is written in terms of spherical coordinates. The person is asking for clarification on the definition of the torus and if there is a way to write the current density in spherical coordinates. The expert responds that the definition of the torus is correct and that it is homeomorphic to the standard torus. They also mention that the equations for the current density could get messy and may require a multipole expansion.
Mr. Rho
Hi, I'm trying to figure out how the current density for a poloidal current in toroidal solenoid is written. I found you may define a torus by an upper conical ring ##(a<r<b,\theta=\theta_1,\phi)##, a lower conical ring ##(a<r<b,\theta=\theta_2,\phi)##, an inner spherical ring ##(r=a,\theta_{1}<\theta<\theta_{2},\phi)## and an outter spherical ring ##(r=b,\theta_{1}<\theta<\theta_{2},\phi)##. I used Mathematica to illustrate the torus generated with this definition:

Untitled.png

So, the poloidal current density may be weitten:

[itex]\mathbf{J}(\mathbf{r})=\frac{NI}{2\pi r\sin\theta}\lbrace\frac{\hat{r}}{r}[\delta(\theta-\theta_{1})-\delta(\theta-\theta_{2})][\Theta(r-a)-\Theta(r-b)]+\hat{\theta}[\delta(r-b)-\delta(r-a)][\Theta(\theta-\theta_{1})-\Theta(\theta-\theta_{2})]\rbrace[/itex]
My question is: is that definition of a torus correct? my problem here is that this torus is not smooth, so I don't know if it is homeomorphic to the standard torus (I don't know much about Topology). Also I would like to know if there is a possible way to write a current density in spherical coordinates for a poloidal current in a standard toroidal solenoid:

Untitled.png

Thank you for your answers (:

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Mr. Rho said:
my problem here is that this torus is not smooth, so I don't know if it is homeomorphic to the standard torus (I don't know much about Topology).
It is, but I don't see how this could be relevant in a physics problem.
Mr. Rho said:
Also I would like to know if there is a possible way to write a current density in spherical coordinates for a poloidal current in a standard toroidal solenoid:
Sure, but the equations could get messy.

mfb said:
It is, but I don't see how this could be relevant in a physics problem.
Sure, but the equations could get messy.

Thank you, I'm studying the multipole expansion of EM fields for such toroidal solenoid but I want to feel confortable with the current density before start to calculate things...

What is poloidal current in a toroidal solenoid?

Poloidal current is a type of electric current that flows in a circular pattern around the inner circumference of a toroidal solenoid. It is perpendicular to the axial current that runs along the length of the solenoid.

How is poloidal current different from toroidal current?

Poloidal current is different from toroidal current in terms of the direction of flow. While poloidal current flows around the inner circumference of the solenoid, toroidal current runs along the length of the solenoid in a circular pattern.

What is the purpose of poloidal current in a toroidal solenoid?

The purpose of poloidal current in a toroidal solenoid is to produce a strong magnetic field that is perpendicular to the axis of the solenoid. This is useful in applications such as fusion reactors and particle accelerators.

How is poloidal current created in a toroidal solenoid?

Poloidal current is created by passing an electric current through the windings of the toroidal solenoid. This current induces a magnetic field that flows in a circular pattern around the circumference of the solenoid.

How does the strength of poloidal current affect the magnetic field in a toroidal solenoid?

The strength of poloidal current directly affects the strength of the magnetic field produced by a toroidal solenoid. The stronger the poloidal current, the stronger the magnetic field will be, which can have a significant impact on the performance and efficiency of the solenoid.