Popular science book on particle physics

In summary, the conversation is about a person asking for recommendations on popular science books on particle/nuclear physics. Some suggestions were given, including "Understanding the Universe: From Quarks to the Cosmos" by Don Lincoln and "Facts and Mysteries in Elementary Particle Physics" by Martinis Veltman. There was also a suggestion to read "Introduction to Elementary Particles" by David Griffiths, but it was considered more suitable for someone with a background in physics.
nebulinda
Hello everyone. I never had the chance to take a class on particle or nuclear physics during my undergrad, so I want to know what everyone's favorite popular science book on particle/nuclear physics is. I'm not looking for a textbook or something overly mathematical (there's a reason I decided not to go to grad school), maybe more of an advanced introduction.

Thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org
Don Lincoln: "Understanding the Universe: From Quarks to the Cosmos"

I think David Griffiths Inrtoduction to Elementary Particles might count as an 'advanced introduction', whatever that is...

Martinis Veltman, Facts and Mysteries in Elementary Particle Physics. Though if you have some undergrad physics, I don't see any reason not to try Griffiths.

Related to Popular science book on particle physics

1. What is particle physics?

Particle physics is the branch of physics that studies the fundamental particles and their interactions, which make up the building blocks of the universe. It seeks to understand the nature of matter and energy and how they behave on the smallest scales.

2. Why is particle physics important?

Particle physics is important because it helps us to understand the fundamental laws of nature and how the universe works on the most basic level. It also has practical applications in fields such as medicine, technology, and energy production.

3. What are some key concepts in particle physics?

Some key concepts in particle physics include the standard model, which describes the fundamental particles and their interactions, quantum mechanics, which explains the behavior of particles on the smallest scales, and the Higgs boson, which gives particles their mass.

4. How does particle physics relate to other branches of science?

Particle physics is closely related to other branches of science, such as cosmology, which studies the origin and evolution of the universe, and astrophysics, which studies the properties and behavior of celestial objects. It also has connections to fields like chemistry, biology, and engineering.

5. Are there any practical applications of particle physics?

Yes, there are many practical applications of particle physics. For example, the technology used in medical imaging, such as MRI machines, is based on principles of particle physics. Particle accelerators are also used in industry to produce materials and in research to study other fields of science.