An "Introduction to Nuclear Physics" book

In summary, the conversation is about recommendations for a book on Introduction to Nuclear Physics. The person is looking for a book that gives a deep insight into physics concepts with a strong mathematical background. Fraunfelder and Henley are suggested as good options, with the third edition by Henley and Garcia being more updated. Emilio Segre's book is also mentioned, but it may be out of print. It is noted that older books such as Jackson and Goldstein are still used, but nuclear physics has likely changed significantly since their publication. The book "Particles and Nuclei" by B. Povh et al is also recommended.
JD_PM
Hi, I am wondering what's the best (or one of the best) available books on Introduction to Nuclear Physics. I started reading Krane's, which is a good book. However I am looking for more options.

I am most interested in books which give a deep insight into physics concepts without lacking of mathematical background (kind of Griffiths style). Griffiths has a book on elementary particles but my teacher said I better look for another book about just nuclear physics.

Thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
Fraunfelder and Henley seems to be a good book. It goes deeper than Krane. F and H is advanced undergrad and grad textbook.
Emilio Segre also had a good book on nuclear physics but this is probably out of print.

Likes JD_PM
mpresic3 said:
Fraunfelder and Henley

The 3rd edition is Henley and Garcia. Or did you mean an older one? I have the 1st edition; I find it quite dated.

Likes JD_PM
I have the 45 year old edition, so it is probably too old to recommend. I have not taken nuclear physics for 30+ years and do not work in the field.
I just thought it was well written when I looked at it recently. The OP will likely need a more recent text. I do not know the Henley and Garcia text updated version.
We do still use Jackson, and Goldstein and these are even older. However, nuclear physics has probably changed to a greater degree than classical mechanics and classical electrodynamics.

Likes JD_PM
How about

B. Povh et al, Particles and Nuclei, Springer (2014)

Likes JD_PM

1. What is nuclear physics?

Nuclear physics is a branch of physics that studies the properties and behavior of atomic nuclei, including their structure, interactions, and transformations.

2. What topics are typically covered in an introduction to nuclear physics book?

An introduction to nuclear physics book typically covers topics such as nuclear structure, nuclear reactions, radioactive decay, nuclear energy, and applications of nuclear physics in fields such as medicine and industry.

3. Is nuclear physics a difficult subject to understand?

Nuclear physics can be challenging to understand due to its complex mathematical and theoretical concepts. However, with a strong foundation in physics and mathematics, it can be a fascinating and rewarding subject to study.

4. How is nuclear physics used in real-world applications?

Nuclear physics has numerous applications in various fields, including energy production, medical imaging and treatments, materials science, and nuclear weapons. It also plays a crucial role in understanding the fundamental forces and building blocks of the universe.

5. Are there any ethical concerns surrounding nuclear physics?

As with any powerful technology, there are ethical concerns surrounding the use of nuclear physics, particularly in regards to nuclear weapons and nuclear waste disposal. It is essential for scientists and policymakers to carefully consider and address these concerns in the development and use of nuclear technology.