Pork & Earth Travel: Estimating Cook Time

In summary, the question asks to estimate whether a dead cattle will come out well done, medium, or rare when passed through a tunnel at the center of the earth. Based on the logic that the cattle will spend the least time at the inner core where it is hottest, it is likely that it will come out well done. However, without specific values and considering the varying temperatures within the earth, it is difficult to make a precise estimate. In class, it was determined that the time for half the journey is 42 minutes, which is significantly longer than the time it takes to cook an entire pig at a certain temperature. Therefore, it is highly likely that the cattle will come out well done.
jono90one

Homework Statement

Estimate whether dead cattle (used for pork) will come out well done, medium or rare when put through a tunnel that goes through the centre of the earth?

Homework Equations

Because it says estimate, I’m not entirely sure if detailed calculations are needed.

The Attempt at a Solution

Logical solution:
"Well done"? - my logic is that at 6000* (inner core), even though the cattle spends the least time there, as v is maximum at the middle (SHM), he/she would still be burnt enough? You could go into more detail using Q=mc(delta)t etc, but none of these values are provided in the question. And then comparing those values here on Earth of cooking an entire pig at a said temperature. But a). the temperature varies within Earth and b) who can estimate how long it takes to cook an entire pig :s

Its a very silly question, but any thoughts on how I can make my estimate seem a better one would be appreciated (Unless a cattle would come out rare? :S).

Prior to the question (in class) we worked out that half the time period was 42 minutes.

Thanks.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
lol. I was a firefighter before and 2 seconds in 1000 degrees would've roasted almost anything.

Let alone 42 minutes.

Related to Pork & Earth Travel: Estimating Cook Time

1. How do you estimate the cook time for pork?

The cook time for pork can vary depending on the cut, weight, and cooking method. A general rule of thumb is to cook pork for 20 minutes per pound at 350 degrees Fahrenheit. However, it is always recommended to use a meat thermometer to ensure the pork is cooked to the appropriate internal temperature.

2. Does the type of pork cut affect the cook time?

Yes, the type of pork cut can affect the cook time. For example, a thicker cut of pork, such as a pork roast, will require a longer cook time compared to a thinner cut like pork chops. It is important to adjust the cook time based on the specific cut of pork being used.

3. What is the ideal internal temperature for cooked pork?

The ideal internal temperature for cooked pork varies depending on the cut. For pork chops and tenderloin, the ideal temperature is 145 degrees Fahrenheit. For ground pork, the temperature should be 160 degrees Fahrenheit. For pork roasts, the temperature should be 145 degrees Fahrenheit. It is important to use a meat thermometer to ensure the pork is cooked to the appropriate temperature.

4. Can you use a slow cooker for pork?

Yes, a slow cooker can be a great option for cooking pork. The cook time will depend on the size and cut of the pork, but on average, it takes 4-6 hours on low heat or 2-3 hours on high heat to cook pork in a slow cooker. It is important to check the internal temperature with a meat thermometer before serving.

5. How can I ensure my pork is cooked safely?

The best way to ensure your pork is cooked safely is to use a meat thermometer to check the internal temperature. Pork should be cooked to at least 145 degrees Fahrenheit. Additionally, make sure to properly store and handle raw pork to prevent contamination. Wash your hands and any utensils used with soap and hot water before and after handling raw pork.