Portable Mp3 and Satellite Radio

In summary, the MyFi portable player is a good option for those who want a portable mp3 player with a satellite radio, but it is not as good as an iPod because the quality of the recordings is not as good. The MyFi also has a car adapter which is a nice feature.
JoshHolloway
Have you all seen the portable Siruis Sattellite Radio reciever with a hard drive:

XM also has one of these coming out soon:

I think that having a portable mp3 and satellite radio in one device is an AWESOME idea. However, these devicese can only pick up the satellite signal when docked in a home docking station! So the idea is to record the radio while docked, then listen to that recorded audio when on the go. The hard drives are 1 gig I think. That is still an OK idea, but the thing about this is that you can subscribe to XM online for a few less dollars per month than a regular subscription is, giving you access to the same XM content. And these devices are probably going to be around 300 dollars, the same price as a large capacity hard drive ipod. Would't it be smarter for a consumer to purchase the same price ipod and the cheaper XM online subsciption, then just record a few hours of your favorite stations every once and a while, save these as mp3's then transfer them to the ipod. This is practically the same thing you would be doing with the devices offered by the satellite radio companies. This way you would also have enough space on your hard drive to also store any other music in your mp3 collection. Don't get me wrong, I would love to have a portable mp3 and satellite radio device, but since the satellite radio function on these devices is not actually portable, I think the idea I have proposed would be a much smarter one.

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
You're still better off with an Ipod. You get to choose the songs you listen to from your collection; and you can either get the songs for free or from newsgroups. And no monthly subscription fees.

JoshHolloway said:
XM also has one of these coming out soon:
Not true. I have one. It's called a MyFi portable player with a 5 hour recording capacity.

JoshHolloway said:
However, these devicese can only pick up the satellite signal when docked in a home docking station!
Wrong again. Myfi has a small, wearable antenna that allows you to travel listening to live feeds.

JoshHolloway said:
So the idea is to record the radio while docked, then listen to that recorded audio when on the go.
It does work a bit easier that way. That is true.

JoshHolloway said:
the thing about this is that you can subscribe to XM online for a few less dollars per month than a regular subscription is
You get the on line sub for free with the main subscription anyways.

JoshHolloway said:
And these devices are probably going to be around 300 dollars, the same price as a large capacity hard drive ipod.
That's true, but they are coming down already, especially with newer models coming out.

JoshHolloway said:
Would't it be smarter for a consumer to purchase the same price ipod and the cheaper XM online subsciption, then just record a few hours of your favorite stations every once and a while, save these as mp3's then transfer them to the ipod.
I don't know about smarter, but it is an option. It's a bit of a working process to get good quality files from the on line (at least that I have done so far). I am sure there's a trick to it.

The best part about the MyFi is the car adapter. Take it with you when you're driving. I love my XM radios. Especially on long drives.

What I meant was that your MyFi thing still does not have the capability to store mp3's. Am I correct about that? If I am, then that sure does suck.

As for the online quality: I actually already do subscribe to xm online and the quality is excellent.
And thanks for attempting to point out my mistakes fred and prove me wrong, I think people that do that are just super.

Related to Portable Mp3 and Satellite Radio

1. What is a portable MP3 player?

A portable MP3 player is a small electronic device that is designed to play digital audio files in the MP3 format. It typically has a small screen, buttons or a touch screen for navigation, and a built-in rechargeable battery. It allows users to store and listen to their music on the go.

2. What is satellite radio?

Satellite radio is a type of digital radio that is broadcasted from satellites in space. It offers a wide range of commercial-free music, talk, and sports channels that can be accessed using a specialized receiver and a monthly subscription. Unlike traditional radio, satellite radio has a nationwide reach and offers a higher audio quality.

3. Can I listen to satellite radio on a portable MP3 player?

Yes, some portable MP3 players have the capability to receive and play satellite radio. However, this requires a separate satellite radio receiver and a subscription to a satellite radio service. Not all portable MP3 players have this feature, so it is important to check the specifications before purchasing.

4. What are the benefits of using a portable MP3 player?

There are several benefits of using a portable MP3 player. It allows users to carry their entire music library with them, making it easy to access and listen to music on the go. Portable MP3 players are also small and lightweight, making them convenient to carry around. Additionally, some models offer additional features such as video playback, radio, and voice recording.

5. How does satellite radio differ from traditional radio?

Satellite radio offers a wider variety of channels and programming compared to traditional radio, which is limited by geographical location and broadcast range. Satellite radio also offers better audio quality and is typically commercial-free, while traditional radio relies on advertisements for revenue. Additionally, satellite radio is accessible nationwide, while traditional radio is limited to a local area.