Positive definite real quadratic forms

In summary: The claim was, that this is non-zero if X is non-zero. So, let's suppose it is and derive a contradiction. If Y = 0 then the right hand side is zero, so P^{-1} X is zero. I can safely multiply by P again on both sides, as any matrix times zero equals zero. So then I getP Y = P P^{-1} X = X = P 0 = 0so X is equal to zero. This is the contradiction, because we assumed X was non-zero.
kingwinner
Q: Suppose q(X)=(X^T)AX where A is symmetric. Prove that if all eigenvalues of A are positive, then q is positive definite (i.e. q(X)>0 for all X not =0).

Proof:
Since A is symmetric, by principal axis theorem, there exists an orthogonal matrix P such that (P^T)AP=diag{c1,c2,...,cn} is diagonal, where c1,...,cn are eigenvalues of A.

Suppose ci>0 for all i=1,...,n
For any X not =0, X=PY
This implies that Y not =0

=> q=(X^T)AX=[(PY)^T]A(PY)=c1(y1)^2+...+cn(yn)^2 > 0 for all X not =0 since ci>0 and Y not =0
===================================
Now, I don't understand the red part. As far as I know, it's definitely possible for the product of two nonzero matrices to be the zero matrix. Then, how does X not =0, X=PY imply Y not=0 ?

Can someone please explain? Thanks!:)

Physics news on Phys.org
Indeed, it is possible for the product of two non-zero matrices to be zero. But if for a certain fixed matrix the product with any other matrix is zero, then the fixed matrix must be zero (you can then e.g. take the latter matrix the identity, and it follows).

Or, suppose that for any X nonzero there exists Y such that X = P Y, where P is the given orthogonal non-zero matrix.
Now assume that Y = 0. The product with the zero matrix is always zero, so X is zero. This is a contradiction.

CompuChip said:
Indeed, it is possible for the product of two non-zero matrices to be zero. But if for a certain fixed matrix the product with any other matrix is zero, then the fixed matrix must be zero (you can then e.g. take the latter matrix the identity, and it follows).

Thanks, but I don't understand this part that I quoted. Can you explain a bit more on it and how this helps in our situtation?

Let me prove it to you in this specific case:

You have
For any X not =0, X=PY
This implies that Y not =0
Here, P is a fixed matrix. That is, once I give you an A, you can in principle give me the corresponding matrix P and there's nothing we can do about it. So, there's no freedom in choosing P.
Now suppose we have any matrix X which is non-zero, and I want to write this as P Y for some matrix Y (which will depend on the entries of X, of course). If P is invertible, I can multiply by P^{-1} on both sides (from the left) and I will get
X = P Y <=> Y = P^{-1} X
The claim was, that this is non-zero if X is non-zero. So, let's suppose it is and derive a contradiction. If Y = 0 then the right hand side is zero, so P^{-1} X is zero. I can safely multiply by P again on both sides, as any matrix times zero equals zero. So then I get
P Y = P P^{-1} X = X = P 0 = 0
so X is equal to zero. This is the contradiction, because we assumed X was non-zero. Actually, you can extend this argument to show that if A is a fixed non-zero invertible matrix then for any non-zero matrix, A X is also non-zero. (I think it will go wrong if A is non-invertible, but P is orthogonal so (det P)^2 = 1 hence that is not the case in your situation).

I hope I made it clearer now, not more obscure. I don't really know what you want, a heuristic argument or a rigorous proof, but as I think I gave the heuristics in the first post already, I now did the proof :smile:
If it's still not clear, ask again.

Thanks, it really helps!

Related to Positive definite real quadratic forms

1. What is a positive definite real quadratic form?

A positive definite real quadratic form is a mathematical expression in the form of ax^2 + bxy + cy^2, where a, b, and c are real numbers, and x and y are variables. It represents a way of measuring the length and direction of vectors in a multi-dimensional space.

2. How is positive definiteness determined in a real quadratic form?

A real quadratic form is considered positive definite if it always evaluates to a positive number, regardless of the values of x and y. This means that the graph of the form will always be above the x-axis and open upwards.

3. What is the significance of positive definite real quadratic forms?

Positive definite real quadratic forms have many applications in mathematics and physics, particularly in optimization problems and the study of quadratic equations. They also play a crucial role in the study of matrices and their eigenvalues.

4. How are positive definite real quadratic forms used in statistics?

In statistics, positive definite real quadratic forms are used to define the multivariate normal distribution, which is a commonly used distribution in statistical modeling. They are also used in the calculation of Mahalanobis distance, a measure of the distance between data points in a multi-dimensional space.

5. Can a real quadratic form be both positive definite and positive semi-definite?

No, a real quadratic form can only be one of these two types. A positive definite form will always evaluate to a positive number, while a positive semi-definite form can evaluate to either positive or zero. Additionally, a positive definite form must have all positive coefficients, while a positive semi-definite form may have some negative coefficients.