Positron and anti-proton existence

In summary, the conversation discussed the possibility of using electro-static waves to alter the frequency, radius, and oscillations of particles within an atom in order to change its properties. The idea was to potentially collide and destroy positrons and anti-protons within the atom, which could have an unknown effect on the atom itself. However, the logic and physics behind this theory were questioned and deemed flawed.
Corkery
So, I was recently think about something. Don't ask me how I thought of this, but positrons and anti-protons were on my mind all day and I thought of something. I thought about inertia. I thought about it and the more and more I did I figured that there must be something within matter that makes inertia occur (this is kinda a theory I have so bare with me). So I was thinking that maybe it is the positrons and anti-protons within matter that make inertia occur.

So maybe if we ran electro-static waves through, let's say a Hydrogen atom to change the frequency, which also changes the radius and oscillations of the protons and anti-protons, and electrons and positrons. If you could somehow alter the radius of the positron and anti-proton so that they have the same radius, and make them collide and destroy themselves would the hydrogen atom still exist or would this somehow do something to the atom to which we don't know what would happen, or do we have no clue whatsoever. What would happen to an atom if there were no anti-whatever particles?

Physics news on Phys.org
Inertia has to do with mass and gravity..

"So maybe if we ran electro-static waves through, let's say a Hydrogen atom to change the frequency"

What is a electrostatic wave?
Frequency of what? And how, and why?

Where did the anti-protons come from? And the positrons?

Why do you have to change the radius of the positron and antiproton to make them "collide" ? And you can't change the radii of particles just like that. The proton has its radius, which is a concequence of the color force. And elementary particles (leptons and quarks) are pointlike, they have no size... (as we know of today).

I mean, there is neither logic or physics in your reasoning. Sorry, but this is crap.

First of all, it's great that you're thinking about scientific concepts and coming up with your own theories. However, I must caution you that your theory about positrons and anti-protons causing inertia is not supported by current scientific understanding. Inertia is a property of matter that is described by Newton's First Law of Motion, which states that an object at rest will remain at rest and an object in motion will remain in motion at a constant velocity unless acted upon by an external force. This law does not involve the particles within matter, but rather the overall mass and motion of the object.

In terms of your idea about altering the radius of positrons and anti-protons and causing them to collide and destroy themselves, this is not possible in our current understanding of physics. Positrons and anti-protons are both anti-matter particles, meaning they have the same mass as their matter counterparts (electrons and protons, respectively) but have opposite charge. When matter and anti-matter particles collide, they annihilate each other and release energy in the form of gamma rays. This process is not something we can control or manipulate in the way you are suggesting.

Furthermore, the existence of positrons and anti-protons is well-established in physics. They have been observed in experiments and their properties have been studied extensively. So, there is no question about their existence.

In conclusion, while it's great to think about scientific concepts and come up with new ideas, it's important to make sure they are based on solid scientific principles and supported by evidence. Inertia is not caused by the particles within matter, and altering the radius of positrons and anti-protons is not something we can do or would have any impact on the behavior of atoms. Thank you for sharing your thoughts and keep exploring the fascinating world of science!

1. What is a positron and anti-proton?

Positron and anti-proton are subatomic particles that have the same mass as their corresponding particles, electron and proton, but have opposite charge. Positron has a positive charge while anti-proton has a negative charge.

2. How are positron and anti-proton created?

Positron and anti-proton can be created through high-energy collisions between particles, such as protons and electrons, or through the decay of other particles. They can also be created artificially in particle accelerators.

3. Can positron and anti-proton exist naturally?

No, positron and anti-proton do not exist naturally on Earth. They are constantly being created and destroyed in the universe, but their presence on Earth is due to human-made processes.

4. What are the uses of positron and anti-proton in science?

Positron and anti-proton have various applications in science, including medical imaging, cancer treatment, and fundamental particle physics research. They can also be used to study the properties of atoms and molecules.

5. Are positron and anti-proton the only anti-matter particles?

No, positron and anti-proton are not the only anti-matter particles. There are also anti-neutrons, anti-hydrogen, and other anti-particles with their corresponding matter counterparts. Anti-matter is believed to exist in equal amounts with matter in the early universe, but it is rare in our present-day universe.