Positron Emission: Overview & Changes

In summary, positron emission is a type of radioactive decay that occurs in some unstable isotopes of elements. It is used in various medical imaging techniques, such as Positron Emission Tomography (PET) scans, which create detailed images of the inside of the body. Positron emission is also essential in nuclear medicine, as it helps produce the radioactive substances used in diagnostic and therapeutic procedures. During positron emission, a proton is converted into a neutron, resulting in a decrease in the atomic number of the element. This process can also be used in targeted radionuclide therapy for treating cancer.
LotusTK
Member advised to use the homework template for posts in the homework sections of PF.
Hi, i have a question here, but i don't know how to write a lengthened answer on it. I just know what happens and that's about it.

Questions: A positron can be produced by pair production or by positron emission from a proton rich nucleus.

a) Describe the changes that take place in a proton rich nucleus when it emits a positron.

A nucleus with too many Protons will be unstable, so some of the protons will turn into neutrons, and a positron will be emitted as a result I want to be able to write a more detailed answer, because say for example that was a 2 or 3 mark question in an exam paper, i don't think i will get the full marks.

I also cannot think of a second point for this question:

b) State two ways in which pair production of a positron and an electron differs from positron emission.

-In pair production, an electron is produced along with a positron
-(i can't think of a second way)

Thanks.

Physics news on Phys.org
For (a), can you be more specific than "some"? Only one event will happen at a time. Is there more than one kind of event? Is anything else emitted? You could say something about elements.
For (b), the elaboration of (a) may suggest some aspects. Also, for pair formation, is anything else required to be present for the event to occur?

You were almost there.
For anyone still wondering:
(a) A nucleus with too many protons (proton-rich) will be unstable, so a proton will turn into a neutron and emit a positron as a result. This is called beta + decay (opposite of normal beta decay).

(b) 1: Pair production: positron created by two photons colliding. Positron emission: positron created by beta + decay.
2: Pair production: An electron is also created. Positron emission: no electron is created (no other products)

What is Positron Emission?

Positron emission is a type of radioactive decay, where a proton inside a nucleus is converted into a neutron, releasing a positron (antimatter equivalent of an electron) and a neutrino. This type of emission occurs in some unstable isotopes of elements and is used in various medical imaging techniques.

What is the purpose of Positron Emission Tomography (PET) scans?

PET scans are used to create detailed images of the inside of the body, specifically the metabolic and chemical activities of tissues and organs. In this imaging technique, a small amount of a radioactive substance is injected into the body, which emits positrons that are detected by a PET scanner. This helps in diagnosing and monitoring various diseases and conditions.

How is Positron Emission related to nuclear medicine?

Positron emission is an essential process in nuclear medicine. It plays a crucial role in producing the radioactive substances used in diagnostic and therapeutic procedures. It is also used in the production of radiopharmaceuticals, which are drugs containing a radioactive substance that can be used to diagnose or treat diseases.

What are the changes that occur during Positron Emission?

During positron emission, a proton inside the nucleus is converted into a neutron, releasing a positron and a neutrino. This changes the atomic number of the element, as the number of protons decreases by one. This process also results in the emission of gamma rays, which can be detected and used in medical imaging.

Can Positron Emission be used to treat diseases?

Positron emission can be used in radiation therapy to treat certain types of cancer. In this technique, a radioactive substance is injected into the patient, which emits positrons that travel to the tumor site and destroy cancer cells. This type of treatment is called targeted radionuclide therapy and is used in combination with other treatments for better efficacy.