Possibilities for the side and angle of the triangle

In summary, the conversation discusses determining all possibilities for the values of $a$ and $\gamma$ in a triangle with known values for side length $c$, angle $\alpha$, and the median through $C$. Through the use of equations and laws such as the cosine and sine laws, the conversation leads to the conclusion that there are two possible values for $a$ and $\gamma$, and that the sine law must be extended to include all possible solutions. The conversation ends with a clarification on the general implications of the sine law and the restriction that $0<\gamma<\pi$.
mathmari
Gold Member
MHB
Hey! :eek:

We have the triangle ABC with $c=18$, $\alpha=\frac{\pi}{6}$ and the median through $C$ has the length $5$. I want to determine all the possibilities for $a$ and $\gamma$.

I have done the following:

From the median we have the following:
$$m_c=\sqrt{\frac{2a^2+2b^2-c^2}{4}}\Rightarrow m_c^2=\frac{2a^2+2b^2-c^2}{4} \Rightarrow 4m_c^2=2a^2+2b^2-c^2 \\ \Rightarrow 4\cdot 25=2a^2+2b^2-18^2 \Rightarrow 2a^2+2b^2=100+324 \Rightarrow 2a^2+2b^2=424 \\ \Rightarrow a^2+b^2=212 \Rightarrow b^2=212-a^2$$

From the cosine law we have that \begin{align*}&a^2=b^2+c^2-2\cdot b\cdot c\cdot \cos \alpha \\ & \Rightarrow a^2=212-a^2+c^2-2\sqrt{212-a^2}\cdot c\cdot \frac{\sqrt{3}}{2} \\ & \Rightarrow 2a^2=212+324-18\sqrt{3}\sqrt{212-a^2} \\ & \Rightarrow 2a^2=536-18\sqrt{3}\sqrt{212-a^2} \\ & \Rightarrow a^2=268-9\sqrt{3}\sqrt{212-a^2} \\ & \Rightarrow 9\sqrt{3}\sqrt{212-a^2}=268-a^2 \\ & \Rightarrow \left (9\sqrt{3}\sqrt{212-a^2}\right )^2=\left (268-a^2\right )^2 \\ & \Rightarrow 81\cdot 3\cdot \left (212-a^2\right )=71824-536a^2+a^4 \\ & \Rightarrow 243\cdot \left (212-a^2\right )=71824-536a^2+a^4 \\ & \Rightarrow 51516-243a^2=71824-536a^2+a^4 \\ & \Rightarrow a^4-293a^2+20308=0 \\ & \Rightarrow \left (a^2\right )^2-293\left (a^2\right )+20308=0 \\ & \Rightarrow a^2=\frac{-(-293)\pm \sqrt{(-293)^2-4\cdot 1\cdot 20308}}{2\cdot 1} \\ & \Rightarrow a^2=\frac{293\pm \sqrt{85849 -81232 }}{2} \\ & \Rightarrow a^2=\frac{293\pm \sqrt{4617 }}{2} \\ & \Rightarrow a^2=\frac{293\pm 9\sqrt{57}}{2} \\ & \Rightarrow a=\frac{293\pm 9\sqrt{57}}{2}\end{align*}

From the sine law we have that \begin{align*}&\frac{\sin\alpha}{a}=\frac{\sin \gamma}{c} \\ & \Rightarrow c\sin \alpha=a\sin \gamma \\ & \Rightarrow 18\cdot \frac{1}{2}=a\sin \gamma \\ & \Rightarrow a\sin \gamma=9 \\ & \Rightarrow \sin \gamma=\frac{9}{a} \\ & \Rightarrow \gamma =\arcsin \left (\frac{9}{a} \right ) \ \text{ with } \ a=\frac{293+ 9\sqrt{57}}{2} \ \text{ and } \ a=\frac{293- 9\sqrt{57}}{2}\end{align*} Is everything correct? Could I improve something? (Wondering)

Mathematics news on Phys.org
Hey mathmari! (Smile)

Since $\arcsin$ has range $[-\frac\pi 2,\frac\pi 2]$, doesn't that mean we're missing triangles with an oblique $\gamma$? (Wondering)

I like Serena said:
Hey mathmari! (Smile)

Since $\arcsin$ has range $[-\frac\pi 2,\frac\pi 2]$, doesn't that mean we're missing triangles with an oblique $\gamma$? (Wondering)

Ahh (Thinking)

So do we have to do something else? (Wondering)

mathmari said:
Ahh (Thinking)

So do we have to do something else? (Wondering)

It means that $\sin\gamma=\frac 9a \Rightarrow \gamma=\arcsin\frac 9a$ is incorrect.
The left hand side of the implication has more solutions than the right hand side.
So we have to extend the right hand side to include all solutions that the left hand side has.
We can use the restriction that $0<\gamma<\pi$ though, since it's given that $\gamma$ is an angle in a triangle. (Thinking)

I like Serena said:
So we have to extend the right hand side to include all solutions that the left hand side has.
We can use the restriction that $0<\gamma<\pi$ though, since it's given that $\gamma$ is an angle in a triangle. (Thinking)

Do you mean that using that restriction we extend the right hand side? (Wondering)

mathmari said:
Do you mean that using that restriction we extend the right hand side? (Wondering)

I mean that we should have:
$$\sin\gamma=\frac 9a\quad\Rightarrow\quad\gamma=\arcsin\frac 9a\lor\gamma=\pi-\arcsin\frac 9a$$
(Thinking)

mathmari said:
$$\Rightarrow a^2=\frac{293\pm 9\sqrt{57}}{2} \\ \Rightarrow a=\frac{293\pm 9\sqrt{57}}{2}$$

Didn't we lose a $\sqrt{}$ here? (Wondering)

I think the solutions should look like:
\begin{tikzpicture}
\def\b{(9*sqrt(3)+sqrt(19))/2};
\def\ba{(9*sqrt(3)-sqrt(19))/2};
\coordinate (A) at (0,0);
\coordinate (B) at (18,0);
\coordinate (C) at ({\b*cos(30)},{\b*sin(30)});
\coordinate (C') at ({\ba*cos(30)},{\ba*sin(30)});
\coordinate (D) at (9,0);
\draw[orange, ultra thick] (A) -- (B) -- node[above] {a'} (C') node[above] {C'} -- node[below right] {b'} cycle;
\draw[orange, ultra thick] (C') -- node[below left] {5} (D);
\draw[blue, ultra thick] (A) node[below left] {A} -- node[below, xshift=30] {c} (B) node[below right] {B} --node[above right] {a} (C) node[above] {C} -- node[above left] {b} cycle;
\draw[blue, ultra thick] (C) -- node
{5} (D) node[below] {D};
\path[blue, ultra thick] (A) -- node[above] {9} (D) -- node[above] {9} (B);
\path[blue, ultra thick] (A) node[above right, xshift=18] {$\pi/6$};
\draw[blue, thick] (A) +(1.5,0) arc (0:30:1.5);
\end{tikzpicture}

Note that $\gamma > \frac\pi 2$ in both cases. (Thinking)​

I like Serena said:
I mean that we should have:
$$\sin\gamma=\frac 9a\quad\Rightarrow\quad\gamma=\arcsin\frac 9a\lor\gamma=\pi-\arcsin\frac 9a$$
(Thinking)

So, in general it holds that $$\sin x=y\Rightarrow x=\arcsin y\lor x=\pi-\arcsin y$$ right? (Wondering)
I like Serena said:
Didn't we lose a $\sqrt{}$ here? (Wondering)

Oh yes (Tmi)

mathmari said:
So, in general it holds that $$\sin x=y\Rightarrow x=\arcsin y\lor x=\pi-\arcsin y$$ right?

Generally, we have:
$$\sin x=y\quad\Rightarrow\quad x=\arcsin y + 2\pi k\lor x=\pi-\arcsin y + 2\pi k$$
If we know that $0<x<\pi$, we can conclude that $x=\arcsin y\lor x=\pi-\arcsin y$, and also that $y>0$. (Nerd)

I like Serena said:
Generally, we have:
$$\sin x=y\quad\Rightarrow\quad x=\arcsin y + 2\pi k\lor x=\pi-\arcsin y + 2\pi k$$
If we know that $0<x<\pi$, we can conclude that $x=\arcsin y\lor x=\pi-\arcsin y$, and also that $y>0$. (Nerd)
Ahh ok! I see! Thank you so much! (Mmm)

Related to Possibilities for the side and angle of the triangle

1. What is the Pythagorean Theorem and how does it relate to triangles?

The Pythagorean Theorem states that in a right triangle, the square of the length of the hypotenuse (the side opposite the right angle) is equal to the sum of the squares of the other two sides. This theorem is commonly used to find the length of a missing side in a right triangle.

2. How do you determine the side lengths of a triangle given the angles?

To determine the side lengths of a triangle given the angles, you can use the Law of Sines or the Law of Cosines. The Law of Sines states that the ratio of the length of a side to the sine of its opposite angle is constant for all sides and angles in a triangle. The Law of Cosines relates the lengths of the sides to the cosine of one of the angles and is useful for solving triangles with all three sides given.

3. Can a triangle have more than one obtuse angle?

No, a triangle can only have a maximum of one obtuse angle. An obtuse angle is defined as an angle that measures greater than 90 degrees. Since the sum of the angles in a triangle is always 180 degrees, having more than one obtuse angle would result in a sum greater than 180 degrees, which is not possible.

4. How do you find the missing angle in a triangle?

To find the missing angle in a triangle, you can use the fact that the sum of the angles in a triangle is always 180 degrees. So, if you know the measures of two angles, you can subtract their sum from 180 degrees to find the measure of the third angle.

5. How can you tell if a triangle is a right triangle without measuring the angles?

If you know the side lengths of a triangle, you can use the Pythagorean Theorem to determine if it is a right triangle. If the square of the length of the longest side is equal to the sum of the squares of the other two sides, then the triangle is a right triangle. Another way to tell is if the sides are in a 3-4-5 ratio, as this is a characteristic of a right triangle.