Possibility of Time Travel at Light Speed

In summary, it is not possible to travel faster than the speed of light. However, if it were possible, one would see the past if looking back at Earth and the future if traveling towards it. The concept of time also becomes distorted at such speeds.
quantum brain
if it is possible to travel faster than the speed of light will we be seeing the future or the past?

Physics news on Phys.org
Future [but how ??]

It's not possible to travel faster than the speed of light. It's a little like asking what you would see if you were north of the North Pole.

I guess, if these things exist, we could use a wormhole and appear someplace before the light. That way we wouldn't travel faster than light but still arrive before the light, if you see what I mean. As we came there before the light I find it logic that we would see the future. When we look at the sun, we see about 8 minutes back in time.

I'm not the person to answer, though. I'm only in High School, second year. I am, however, very interested in this stuff^^

quantum brain said:
if it is possible to travel faster than the speed of light will we be seeing the future or the past?

...No

If it were possible to travel faster than the speed of light and let's say you where looking back at the Earth you would see the Earth as it looked in the past. The longer you did that the further in the past you would see. The signal that was transmitted of men landing on the moon is still traveling in outer space at the speed of light and if you could overtake that signal by traveling faster than the signal you could see the event happen.

Attachments

• ftl.jpg
    ftl.jpg
    18.5 KB · Views: 335
About 30 years ago, a physicist proposed that there might be a particle that can travel faster than the speed of light, which he named a tachyon. No one has ever seen such a particle, although it appears occasionally in the literature. So the tachyon is still a virtual particle. Maybe a virtual person made of tachyons could travel faster than the speed of light.

I am amazed that this hasn't been locked yet.

vibjwb said:
If it were possible to travel faster than the speed of light and let's say you where looking back at the Earth you would see the Earth as it looked in the past. The longer you did that the further in the past you would see. The signal that was transmitted of men landing on the moon is still traveling in outer space at the speed of light and if you could overtake that signal by traveling faster than the signal you could see the event happen.

What if you were traveling toward the earth??

i would imagine that u would see in the future because your clock would tick slower than
one that was on earth. I read in a book once that if we traveled 95% the speed of light
and we did this for 40 years our time and we came back to Earth the Earth would have aged 202 years so we could meet our great, great , great , great grandchildren so in a sense we are traveling to Earth's future.

cragar said:
i would imagine that u would see in the future because your clock would tick slower than
one that was on earth. I read in a book once that if we traveled 95% the speed of light
and we did this for 40 years our time and we came back to Earth the Earth would have aged 202 years so we could meet our great, great , great , great grandchildren so in a sense we are traveling to Earth's future.

this is only true if you travel below or at exact speed of light. If you go above it, time for you will go faster than that on Earth. As one can see from the link above, if you do a one year trip at 200% the speed of light, only about 7 months will pass by on Earth so time for you goes faster. This is only wishful thinking because if you go above the speed of light, you enter imaginary time which doesn't exist in reality, so like I said, the question becomes meaningless.

Related to Possibility of Time Travel at Light Speed

1. What is the theory behind the possibility of time travel at light speed?

The theory is based on Einstein's theory of relativity, which states that time and space are interwoven and can be affected by gravity and the speed of an object. When traveling at the speed of light, time slows down for the traveler, allowing them to experience time differently than those who are not moving at that speed.

2. Is it possible to travel at the speed of light?

Currently, it is not possible for any object with mass to travel at the speed of light. According to Einstein's theory, as an object approaches the speed of light, its mass increases infinitely, making it impossible to reach that speed. However, scientists are still exploring ways to potentially manipulate the laws of physics to make it possible.

3. How would traveling at light speed affect the aging process?

As mentioned earlier, time slows down for objects traveling at the speed of light. This means that if a person were to travel at that speed for a certain amount of time, they would experience less time passing than those who are not traveling at that speed. This could potentially lead to a person aging slower than those around them.

4. Are there any potential risks or consequences of time travel at light speed?

There are several potential risks and consequences associated with time travel at light speed. One major concern is the potential for disrupting the space-time continuum and causing paradoxes. Additionally, traveling at such high speeds could have harmful effects on the human body, such as radiation exposure and physical strain.

5. Could time travel at light speed be used to change the past or future?

While the concept of time travel at light speed is still purely theoretical, many scientists believe that changing the past or future is not possible. Even if it were possible to travel at light speed, the laws of physics would prevent any significant changes to the past or future. Time travel would only allow for observation and experience, not manipulation.