Possible PF Improvement (iPhone)

• Thread starter Feeble Wonk
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation discusses a compatibility issue with accessing Physics Forums on an iPhone, specifically with displaying mathematical expressions. The issue currently cannot be fixed on the user's side and it is hoped that it will be addressed by the PF app in the future. The issue is due to the app not supporting the rendering style used by PF, which is different from other sites.
Feeble Wonk
First, I'd like to thank the PF management for your delivery of a superior scientific discussion forum. But I've got a request that might be logistically impossible for you, or simply too difficult to even bother trying.

I typically access PF via my iPhone, and there often seems to be issues with translating many mathematical expressions to this format, resulting in my seeing only symbolic gibberish that means nothing to me. This effectively reduces my understanding of it from little to none.

Is this an iOS compatibility issue on your side that might be addressed at some point, or can I fix this on my side by downloading some type of a mathematical font app?

Thank you again.

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
What version of iphone iOS and are you using Safari web browser or the PF app?

My iPhone 6+ with iOS9.2? works when I use Safari to access PF.

I'm using iOS 9.2 on a 6+ as well, but I prefer the PF app because it seems like a better reading interface than the Safari view.

The PF app has issues with displaying formula as you've noted.

You can read more about it here.

https://www.physicsforums.com/threa...-app-for-iphone-android-phones.663524/page-11

Basically Greg said that PF renders using html/css and mathjax but that the Tapatalk PF branded app doesn't support that style of rendering and consequently you can't view LaTex generated formulas.

Other sites generate displayable images of the formulas on the site server and so appear to support Latex when in fact they don't.

Last edited:
It is a regrettable problem and I hope it will be fixed in the future.

What is "Possible PF Improvement" on an iPhone?

"Possible PF Improvement" refers to the potential enhancement of the iPhone's processing speed and performance. This can include optimizing the device's operating system, increasing RAM capacity, or improving the efficiency of its processors.

How do I know if my iPhone needs a "Possible PF Improvement"?

If you notice that your iPhone is running slower than usual, experiencing frequent crashes or freezes, or taking longer to open apps or perform tasks, it may benefit from a "Possible PF Improvement."

Can I perform a "Possible PF Improvement" on my own?

No, "Possible PF Improvement" typically involves technical changes to the device's hardware or software that require specialized knowledge and tools. It is recommended to seek assistance from a professional or authorized service provider.

How long does a "Possible PF Improvement" take to complete?

The duration of a "Possible PF Improvement" on an iPhone can vary depending on the specific issues and methods being addressed. It is best to consult with a professional or authorized service provider for an estimated timeline.

Is a "Possible PF Improvement" guaranteed to improve my iPhone's performance?

While a "Possible PF Improvement" can often enhance an iPhone's speed and performance, it is not a guaranteed solution. There may be underlying hardware or software issues that cannot be resolved through this process. It is important to consult with a professional or authorized service provider to determine the best course of action for your specific device.