Upgrading to iOS 9 on iPhone 5s: Tips for a Smooth Download

• Thread starter jtbell
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation discusses the speaker's experience downloading the iOS 9 update on their iPhone 5s. They mention that their phone is relatively new and they decided to update while at work for a faster network connection. Their girlfriend also updated with no issues and the update is meant to improve battery life. The only noticeable changes are a different font and app closing screen. The conversation also mentions a review of iOS 9 on ArsTechnica and reports of some problems with the update. The speaker updates their phone and checks out the new transit option in the Maps app, noting that it only works in a few major cities.
jtbell
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
I'm downloading it onto my iPhone 5s right now. It's only a few weeks old so I don't have a boatload of third-party apps on it that might have compatibility issues. So I decided to take a chance on it while I'm in the office and can take advantage of the fast network connection here for the 1GB download. Keeping my fingers crossed...

Computer science news on Phys.org
My girlfriend got it yesterday. No issues for her so far. It's supposed to improve battery life I think. The only differences I see are a slightly different font and a different screen when closing apps. Maybe a couple new menus.

I just updated and no problems. No apps are crashing. I don't see much difference right now. Download is 1.8GB

I got distracted and forgot to follow up... the update took about a half hour altogether, and everything seems to be running OK. I haven't used any apps enough to trip over any changes yet. One thing I did check out specifically was the new "transit" (subway/metro/commuter ) option in the Maps app. So far it works only for a few major cities: New York, Philadelphia, Washington, Chicago, San Francisco, Mexico City, London and Berlin. You'd think they'd include at least Tokyo and Beijing, too, for the initial rollout.

1. What are the system requirements for upgrading to iOS 9 on iPhone 5s?

To upgrade to iOS 9 on iPhone 5s, you need to have at least 1.3GB of available storage space and be running iOS 8 or later. Your device must also be connected to a Wi-Fi network.

2. Will upgrading to iOS 9 on iPhone 5s affect my data?

Upgrading to iOS 9 should not affect your data, but it is always recommended to back up your device before any software updates. This can be done through iCloud or iTunes.

3. How long does it take to download and install iOS 9 on iPhone 5s?

The download and installation time for iOS 9 on iPhone 5s can vary depending on your internet connection and the amount of data on your device. It can take anywhere from 30 minutes to an hour or more.

4. Can I downgrade back to iOS 8 after upgrading to iOS 9 on iPhone 5s?

Yes, it is possible to downgrade back to iOS 8 after upgrading to iOS 9 on iPhone 5s. However, this can only be done within a limited time frame and it is recommended to do so with caution as it may cause data loss.

5. Are there any known issues with upgrading to iOS 9 on iPhone 5s?

There have been some reported issues with battery life and Wi-Fi connectivity after upgrading to iOS 9 on iPhone 5s. These issues can usually be resolved by restarting your device or resetting network settings. Apple is constantly releasing updates to address any known issues.