Possible textbook for Classical Mechanics

In summary, I was wondering what textbooks I should be looking at to learn classical mechanics. I have spent a lot of time looking, but none of the ones I found had what I was looking for. For example, one book would cover all basic concepts in classical mechanics, but then it wouldn't cover more advanced topics like the Lagrangian or
physicswiz_1279
Hi, I was wondering what textbooks I should be looking at to learn classical mechanics. I have spent a lot of time looking, but none of the ones I found had what I was looking for. For example, one book would cover all basic concepts in classical mechanics, but then it wouldn't cover more advanced topics like the Lagrangian or Hamiltonian formulations. Instead, they would jump ahead and start talking about special relativity, or thermodynamics. If anyone has any suggestions, I would be very grateful for some input. I should also mention that mathematical rigor doesn't matter, I know single, and multivariable calculus, along with differential equations.

Likes The Bill
Physics news on Phys.org
Marion and Thornton if you have not had a course in classical mechanics, Symon also is a good choice.

Last edited by a moderator:
Likes Supercool_ed
Avimanyu Ray said:
If Goldstein seems tough for introductory, then what book should I begin with?

I used Marion and Thornton 4e in university. My background was a standard three semester freshman/sophomore physics sequence, three semesters of calculus, a class in differential equations, and one intro linear/matrix algebra class.

Likes Avimanyu Ray
Avimanyu Ray said:
what book should I begin with?
How much math do you know?

jtbell said:
How much math do you know?
I wouldn't prefer much mathematical, as I'm not a pro in that. Like, I prefer Griffith to r.Shankar in quantum mechanics..so you see...

alan2 said:
Old edition of Marion before they screwed it up. I also really like Barger and Olsson for a first course.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/0124722520/?tag=pfamazon01-20

https://www.amazon.com/dp/007003723X/?tag=pfamazon01-20

Just out of curiosity, I am curious what do you mean by Marion's screwing up? I am actually considering buying his latest edition to do more problems, which were lacking at Landau/Lifshitz.

The OP should also consider L/L's VOl. I, which is great book for first introduction to the mechanics assuming that the OP has strong math background.

bacte2013 said:
Just out of curiosity, I am curious what do you mean by Marion's screwing up? I am actually considering buying his latest edition to do more problems, which were lacking at Landau/Lifshitz.

Sorry, that's probably personal bias. Marion is probably one of the least offensive new editions. The trend is to continue publishing good books long after the author dies. Someone's name gets added, they edit and alter in a style which is different and interrupts the flow, add white space and useless color pictures to justify new editions and outrageous prices, etc. Calculus texts are the worst offenders.

As I said, Marion hasn't changed much. But if you can pick up an original for next to nothing you should do that instead of paying $200 for a new one.

alan2 said:
Sorry, that's probably personal bias. Marion is probably one of the least offensive new editions. The trend is to continue publishing good books long after the author dies. Someone's name gets added, they edit and alter in a style which is different and interrupts the flow, add white space and useless color pictures to justify new editions and outrageous prices, etc. Calculus texts are the worst offenders.

As I said, Marion hasn't changed much. But if you can pick up an original for next to nothing you should do that instead of paying $200 for a new one.
The international edition is available for $12.70

https://www.amazon.com/dp/8131518477/?tag=pfamazon01-20

1. What topics are covered in this textbook?

This textbook covers the fundamental principles of classical mechanics, including kinematics, dynamics, and energy conservation. It also includes discussions on rotational motion, harmonic motion, and oscillations.

2. Is this textbook suitable for beginners?

Yes, this textbook is suitable for beginners as it starts with the basics of classical mechanics and gradually builds upon them. It also includes many examples and practice problems to help students understand the concepts.

3. Are there any online resources available for this textbook?

Yes, the textbook comes with access to online resources such as interactive simulations, practice quizzes, and additional practice problems. These resources can be accessed through the publisher's website using a unique access code provided with the textbook.

4. Is this textbook suitable for self-study?

Yes, this textbook is suitable for self-study as it includes clear explanations, examples, and practice problems. However, it is recommended to also seek help from a tutor or professor if needed.

5. Does this textbook cover advanced topics in classical mechanics?

No, this textbook focuses on the fundamental principles and concepts of classical mechanics. It does not cover advanced topics such as Lagrangian mechanics or Hamiltonian mechanics.