Possible Ways to reduce Electron field Emission threshold

In summary, the conversation is about the breakdown measurements of high voltage applications and a question regarding the reduction of electric field required to tunnel an electron. The person mentions using the work function of 4 eV for Aluminum and getting a field of 870 kV/mm with the Schottky-Nordheim approach, but measurements only reach up to 250 kV/mm. They also mention taking into account surface roughness and space charges. The conversation does not provide any further details or explanations for this behavior.
domovinavi
Hello there,

i wanted to ask if anyone knows a process or mechanism, that reduces the electric field that is requiered to tunnel an electron. When i use the work function of 4 eV (Aluminum) i get with Schottky-Nordheim approach a field of 870 kV/mm to tunnel an electron. Measurements tho just get in the best case to 250 kV/mm, also including calculations for surface roughness and space charges. Does anyone have an idea what the possible reason is for this behaviour?Context: breakdown measurements of high voltage applications

Physics news on Phys.org
Can you explain a bit more. Is this emission into free space or between conductors?