Possible webpage title: How does energy factor into the decay of particles?

In summary, a particle detector shows two tracks produced by particles X and Y from the decay of a lambda particle. It is unclear which decay possibility is being shown, but based on the curved paths, it can be assumed that X has more mass than Y. The statement that the energy of X must be greater than that of Y is inconclusive without further information. It is reasonable to assume that the total energy, including kinetic energy, of X and Y must equal the energy of the lambda particle, but it is unclear what is meant by "combined energy." The statement that the mass-energy of the lambda particle must equal the total energy of X and Y is also inconclusive without more information.
FelaKuti

Homework Statement

[/B]
A particle detector shows tracks produced by two particles X and Y that were created by the decay of a lambda particle at O.
a9WkPSc.png

Which of the following is a correct statement about energy at the decay?
The energy of X must be greater than that of Y.
The combined energy of X and Y must be more than the energy of the lambda particle.
The mass of the lambda particle must equal the combined energy of X and Y.
The mass energy of the lambda particle must equal the total energy of X and Y.

Homework Equations

E = mc^2

The Attempt at a Solution

For the first I think we can't tell without values? Or would they be the same?

For the second, I think energy must be conserved

For the third it doesn't take into account the energy the lamba particle might have had.

For the fourth I think it doesn't take into account the mass of X and Y? I'm a bit confused on the difference between total energy and combined energy though

Physics news on Phys.org
HI,

FelaKuti said:
For the first I think we can't tell without values? Or would they be the same?
I see two curved tracks. Don't know if they are projections on a detector plane or if the tracks are in one and the same plane. Curvature of tracks generally is brought about by a magnetic field and is inversely proportional to momentum ##\perp \vec B##. You are also not given any information on the mass. All you are being told is that it's a Lambda particle, but not which one. Perhaps we can rule out ##\Lambda_c## (three charged particles) and ##\Lambda_b## (even more decay products) and assume we see a ##p^+## and a ##\pi^-##.
FelaKuti said:
I'm a bit confused on the difference between total energy and combined energy though
So am I. I don't know what is meant with 'combined energy' in such a situation. To me all four statements seem wrong and the exercise formulation deficient-- but in PF we are not allowed to provide full answers, so it's your choice...

Hi Fela:

I am not an expert, but I will share some thoughts that I hope will be helpful.

1. You need to guess what is in the teacher's mind, based on previous lectures and demonstrations. Whay comes to my mind is that the traces seen are influenced by an external magnetic field. We see X's path having more curvature than Y's.
Wikipedia says that there are two common decay possibilities.
One decay involves charged particles, and the other neutral particles. Do the curved paths suggest which is being shown? Base on that, can you tell which particle is which decay product? Is so, which has more mass?

2 and 3. You give some interpretation regarding each question, but you need to be clear about whether the statement is TRUE of FALSE.

4. I am guessing that it is reasonable to assume that the teacher means by this statement that the total mass-energy (including the mass and the mass equivalent of the kinetic energy) of the lambda particle must equal the sum of the mass-energies of the two decay particles. Id this interpretation is correct, is the statement TRUE or FALSE?

Regards,
Buzz

What is particle decay energy?

Particle decay energy is the energy released when a particle decays into smaller particles. This energy is typically in the form of kinetic energy, which is the energy of motion.

What causes particle decay?

Particle decay is caused by the instability of certain particles. The decay occurs when a particle changes into one or more other particles, releasing energy in the process.

How is particle decay energy measured?

Particle decay energy is typically measured in units of electron volts (eV). This unit represents the amount of energy needed to move an electron through an electrical potential difference of one volt.

What factors affect the amount of particle decay energy released?

The amount of particle decay energy released depends on the mass of the decaying particle and the particles it decays into. The more massive the particles involved, the more energy will be released.

What are some practical applications of particle decay energy?

Particle decay energy has many practical applications, including in nuclear power plants, medical imaging and treatment, and particle accelerators used in research. It is also important in understanding the processes that occur in the universe, such as in stars and supernovae.