Possibly wrong permutation/combination question?

• Thread starter stfz
  • Start date
In summary, there are 120 ways to arrange 4 red balls, 3 white balls, and 1 black ball in a line so that the black ball is always surrounded by a red and a white ball. This is found by treating the RBW unit as one, resulting in 6 possible positions for it, and then considering the order of the remaining colors using permutations and combinations. The final result is 12 * 10 * 1 = 120. This has been confirmed by multiple methods.
stfz

Homework Statement

In how many ways can 4 red balls, 3 white balls and 1 black ball be arranged in a line so that the black ball is always surrounded by a red and a white ball?

Textbook answer: 20

Homework Equations

Chapter was on permutations and combinations, so
##n P r = n!/(n-r)!##
##n C r = n!/(r!(n-r)!)##

The Attempt at a Solution

We have 4 red, 3 white, 1 black.
Black must be surrounded by 1 red and 1 white, so we treat RBW as one unit.
There are two possible combinations of this unit, RBW and WBR, so the result will be multiplied by 2.
There are 6 possible positions to place this 3 ball unit into an 8-ball space, so there are 6*2 = 12 different ways to place this unit.

For the remaining, we regard only order of color, so we use nCr:
For the red balls (only 3 remaining, and we have 5 spaces) there are 5 C 3 = 10 different ways to place them.
For the white balls (only 2 remaining, and we have 2 spaces), there are 2 C 2 = 1 ways to place them.

So the final result is : 12 * 10 * 1 = 120.

I would like a confirmation that this answer is correct (I'm usually not, but maybe I am just this once :wink: )

Physics news on Phys.org
stfz said:

Homework Statement

In how many ways can 4 red balls, 3 white balls and 1 black ball be arranged in a line so that the black ball is always surrounded by a red and a white ball?

Textbook answer: 20

Homework Equations

Chapter was on permutations and combinations, so
##n P r = n!/(n-r)!##
##n C r = n!/(r!(n-r)!)##

The Attempt at a Solution

We have 4 red, 3 white, 1 black.
Black must be surrounded by 1 red and 1 white, so we treat RBW as one unit.
There are two possible combinations of this unit, RBW and WBR, so the result will be multiplied by 2.
There are 6 possible positions to place this 3 ball unit into an 8-ball space, so there are 6*2 = 12 different ways to place this unit.

For the remaining, we regard only order of color, so we use nCr:
For the red balls (only 3 remaining, and we have 5 spaces) there are 5 C 3 = 10 different ways to place them.
For the white balls (only 2 remaining, and we have 2 spaces), there are 2 C 2 = 1 ways to place them.

So the final result is : 12 * 10 * 1 = 120.

I would like a confirmation that this answer is correct (I'm usually not, but maybe I am just this once :wink: )

Sounds correct to me.

I get 120 as well. This is ##\displaystyle \frac{6!}{3! 2! 1!} \times 2!## which is another way of looking at it.

Last edited:
I also get 120.
It is twice a permutation of 6 elements (as I'm grouping WBR and RBW) with 3 repetitions of one type and 2 of another type.
[tex]2 \cdot P^{(3, 2)}_{6}=2 \cdot \frac{6!}{3!2!}=120[/tex]

1. What is a permutation/combination question?

A permutation/combination question is a mathematical problem that involves determining the number of ways in which a set of objects can be arranged or combined. It is usually used to find the number of possible outcomes in a given scenario or to solve a counting problem.

2. How can I tell if a permutation/combination question is possibly wrong?

A permutation/combination question may be possibly wrong if it is missing important information or if the given information is contradictory. It is important to carefully read and understand the question before attempting to solve it.

3. What are some common mistakes when solving permutation/combination questions?

Common mistakes when solving permutation/combination questions include forgetting to account for all possible outcomes, double counting, and using the wrong formula or method. It is important to check your work and approach the problem systematically to avoid these mistakes.

4. How can I improve my problem-solving skills for permutation/combination questions?

To improve your problem-solving skills for permutation/combination questions, practice regularly and familiarize yourself with different formulas and methods. It may also be helpful to break down the problem into smaller, more manageable parts and to check your work for accuracy.

5. Can I use a calculator to solve permutation/combination questions?

It depends on the question and the level of complexity. In some cases, a calculator may be helpful for performing calculations quickly and accurately. However, it is important to understand the underlying concepts and not rely solely on a calculator to solve permutation/combination questions.