Post-doc (Condensed Matter Physics) in Australia

In summary, the conversation is about a person who has completed their PhD in condensed matter physics and is seeking suggestions for post-doc positions in Australia. They mention their specific research topic and have started researching universities that offer research in metallic glasses, polymers, and nano-materials. The other person suggests reaching out at conferences, speaking with advisors and fellow grad students, and consulting the websites of major Australian universities in their area of interest. They also mention the competitive nature of post-doc positions and the importance of networking and groundwork.
Shivi
Hello Everyone,
I have just completed my PhD in condensed matter physics. I want to apply for post-doc positions in Australia.
Any suggestions?

Physics news on Phys.org
Hi Shivi,

:welcome:

There are many universities that do condensed matter physics in Australia. Since you've just finished your PhD, you should have a good idea of the groups whose work interests you most - far more than anyone at PF will have, since we don't know what you studied!

e.bar.goum said:
Hi Shivi,

:welcome:

There are many universities that do condensed matter physics in Australia. Since you've just finished your PhD, you should have a good idea of the groups whose work interests you most - far more than anyone at PF will have, since we don't know what you studied!

Thanks for ur reply e.bar.goum. I have done my PhD in "Metallic Glasses- their thermodynamics and crystallization kinetics". I have started the research on Australian universities offering research on metallic glasses, polymers and nano-materials. Your suggestions are invited, if you can help in that regard.

Let me elaborate a bit more on what e.bar.goum wrote. At this point of your career it is expected that you are capable of and carry out the bulk of the research, both in the lab and outside of the lab, including prospective postdoc positions. Have you reached out at conferences? Have you spoken with your PHD advisors? Fellow grad students and/or post docs in your group? At a minimum, I would consult the websites of each of the major Australian universities in your area of interest. Post doc positions are very competitive and a good deal of network building and groundwork are necessary to land one.

Likes e.bar.goum

What is a post-doc in condensed matter physics?

A post-doctoral research position in condensed matter physics is a temporary appointment for individuals who have recently completed their PhD in a related field. It allows them to gain further research experience and expertise before pursuing a permanent academic or industry position.

What are the qualifications required for a post-doc in condensed matter physics in Australia?

The qualifications required for a post-doc in condensed matter physics in Australia typically include a PhD in physics or a related field, a strong research background in condensed matter physics, and relevant publications in peer-reviewed journals. Other requirements may vary depending on the specific position and institution.

What are the benefits of doing a post-doc in condensed matter physics in Australia?

Some potential benefits of doing a post-doc in condensed matter physics in Australia include access to top research facilities and resources, opportunities to collaborate with leading researchers in the field, and the chance to work on cutting-edge research projects. Additionally, post-doc positions can also lead to further career opportunities in academia or industry.

What is the duration of a post-doc in condensed matter physics in Australia?

The duration of a post-doc in condensed matter physics in Australia can vary, but it is typically between 1-3 years. This may also depend on the specific project and funding availability.

What is the application process for a post-doc in condensed matter physics in Australia?

The application process for a post-doc in condensed matter physics in Australia may vary depending on the institution and position. Generally, it involves submitting a CV, research proposal, and letters of recommendation to the hiring committee. Some positions may also require a formal application through the institution's website.