Are post docs expected nowadays?

robotkid786
In the past, when I was younger i was under the impression that after a phd. Before becoming a lecturer, you have to complete post doc positions, and that the transition between a post doc and successful entry into academia is very low statistically.

Sometimes people are stuck in post doc positions till they eventually decide to go into industry instead.

Have things changed in the last two decades in the UK specifically?

(A distant aunt is a physicist, professor in South Asia so that's how I was made aware of the above. Idk if it's necessarily true.)

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
robotkid786 said:
Have things changed in the last two decades in the UK specifically?
No. If anything the market is getting more saturated.

Likes gwnorth and robotkid786
That's not good news for me. I don't have talent. I only have hardwork on my side, if that.

Thank you for answering

If anything it's gotten worse as successful applicants to academic positions now frequently undergo several post-doc positions spending as long as 5-6 years before being able to land a TT position. Many will give up before then and transition to industry.

It should also be said that it can be country-dependent. At my university, a new faculty member at assistant professor level (tenure track) cannot have more than 5 years since the PhD degree at the application deadline. Pass that and you would have to be hired directly at associate professor level (already tenured), which is even harder.

I'm looking for work experience related to physical sciences but cannot find much on offer. I'm a little worried/concerned now.

I'll work harder to get better grades (python included) but maybe I'll have to tutor people or something similar to show suitability.

Tutoring doesn't really make that much difference. Work experience can make a difference, but only if it is directly relevant.
The best way to enhance your CV is typically summer internships and short projects done in research groups (either as part of course work or e.g.. MSc projects).
To me as a potential employer or PhD supervisor; a strong recommendation coming from someone I know and trust (a colleague or a collaborator) will carry more weight than almost anything else.

Likes robotkid786
What I see is that almost all of the tenure track positions go to people from the top universities. If your PhD is not from one of the top universities, I would advise you to start looking outside of academia now.

f95toli said:
Tutoring doesn't really make that much difference. Work experience can make a difference, but only if it is directly relevant.
The best way to enhance your CV is typically summer internships and short projects done in research groups (either as part of course work or e.g.. MSc projects).
To me as a potential employer or PhD supervisor; a strong recommendation coming from someone I know and trust (a colleague or a collaborator) will carry more weight than almost anything else.
Thank you for sharing this. It's very much appreciated. This makes sense.

robotkid786 said:
I don't have talent. I only have hardwork on my side, if that.
Really? How do you know you do or do not have talent? You're a college freshman for heaven's sake. It seems a little early to be trying to gauge where you are, more or less, twice as old as you are now.

And yes, I am, an "actual physicist".

phyzguy said:
What I see is that almost all of the tenure track positions go to people from the top universities.
I'm not sure what the right lesson to draw from that is. There are certainly many, many very well-respected physicists who did not graduate from the tippy top schools.

Further, about half of all PhDs in the US come from 12-15 schools. So it is not surprising that so do about half of the new faculty hires.

That said, if you went elsewhere not because it was a better fit (e.g. Michigan State, Arizona, Florida State, Utah all fall into that category) but because you couldn't get into your first choices, yes, that probably is a sign that things will only get harder,