Post form of a living hinge as a joint

In summary, the hinge is made of yellow and red sections, with two wings hanging off it. The hinge length is 220 mm, and the width is 3 mm. The hinge must be made of a special material because it needs to be rigid.
mikesydwest
How did you find PF?: google

Hi

I have a scenario where I just cannot make up my mind when creating this joint and hinge at the same time.

Obviously yellow is the hinge, red section to the left has two wings hanging off it held there by two hinges, 250 um.

thinking about ultra sonics to weld this or form the hinge and weld at same time I should say. The hinge length is 220 mm and the inter rad of the hinge is 1.8mm.

The stumbling bloke is how do I introduce the material for the hinge, especially when I consider the idea of a softer PP than what is used on the larger parts. Rigidity on the larger parts is imperative.

Attachments

• Capture 88.PNG
    Capture 88.PNG
    44.3 KB · Views: 213
  • Capture.PNG
    Capture.PNG
    36.8 KB · Views: 194
  • Capture iii.PNG
    Capture iii.PNG
    60.2 KB · Views: 210
Engineering news on Phys.org
mikesydwest said:
The hinge length is 220 mm and the inter rad of the hinge is 1.8mm.
I must be missing something, as I find that combination ridiculous. Did you mean the width is 220mm? With a 1.8mm radius turn, 220mm would wrap around it about 10 times

ridiculous hmm , the length of the hinge is 220mm long, the width is 3mm in a 45 deg ark at approx. 1.8 mm rad, think about it, its not ridiculous. please do not be rude I just look for help not ridicule.

did you look at the images, hinges do not wrap around them selves

the yellow part is a short piece of the hinge, its 5mm long in this image - it is 220 long spanning the length of the part

Attachments

• Capture iii.PNG
    Capture iii.PNG
    60.2 KB · Views: 204
mikesydwest said:
please do not be rude I just look for help not ridicule.
I SPECIFICALLY said I must be missing something.

cool

Welcome to the PF. :smile:
mikesydwest said:
Obviously yellow is the hinge, red section to the left has two wings hanging off it held there by two hinges, 250 um.
mikesydwest said:
The hinge length is 220 mm and the inter rad of the hinge is 1.8mm.
mikesydwest said:
the length of the hinge is 220mm long, the width is 3mm in a 45 deg ark at approx. 1.8 mm rad
I'm also having the same problems understanding these dimensions like @phinds is. Do you have a dimensioned sketch of what you are trying to do?

Also, what material do you want to use for this "hinge"? Can you just use fabric? Or does it need to be some special material?

And I'd like to try to fix up your thread title a bit to help your thread get more views. I'm not able to parse what you are saying in the current title below -- can you think of an alternate title that may explain better what you are asking? What is "living" here? Thank you.
Post form of living hinge as joint

its all good thanks, sorry to make a nuisance

1. What is a living hinge?

A living hinge is a flexible joint that is created by thinning out and bending a solid piece of material, typically plastic or wood. This allows the material to bend repeatedly without breaking, making it ideal for use in various applications such as packaging, doors, and lids.

2. How is a living hinge different from a traditional hinge?

A traditional hinge is made up of multiple separate pieces that are connected together, while a living hinge is created from a single piece of material. This makes a living hinge more flexible and durable, as there are no moving parts that can wear out or break over time.

3. What is the post form of a living hinge?

The post form of a living hinge is a type of living hinge that has been heated and bent into a specific shape, usually a 90-degree angle. This allows for a more precise and consistent bending angle, making it suitable for use in applications where a tight fit is necessary.

4. What are the benefits of using a living hinge in product design?

Using a living hinge in product design can provide several benefits, including reduced cost and weight, increased durability, and improved aesthetics. It also allows for more design flexibility, as living hinges can be customized to fit specific product needs.

5. What are some common uses for living hinges?

Living hinges are commonly used in product packaging, such as for plastic clamshell containers and pill bottles. They are also used in household items like trash cans and storage containers, as well as in larger applications such as car doors and airplane overhead bins.

Back