Postdoc in US for a Married Indian Physics PhD Holder: Visa Help & Chances

In summary, the conversation focused on the process of obtaining a visa for an Indian Physics PhD holder who wants to go for a postdoc in the US. It was mentioned that the US government does not grant visas without cause and that the individual must first be accepted for a postdoc position and have their institution process and submit their visa application. The conversation then delved into the concerns of bringing a spouse and child along, with the expert mentioning that there are international students who have done so, but financial evidence must be provided. The topic then shifted to the wages of physicists, with the expert stating that a postdoc position is temporary and the salary and benefits vary greatly. It was also mentioned that the lack of stability at the postdoc and junior faculty
arpit2agrawal
If a married Indian Physics PhD holder wants to go for postdoc in US then
1. Do universities in US help him getting visa?
2. How are chances of US government granting visa to him? I mean do you guys know some people like this who got US visa?

Physics news on Phys.org
The US Govt. doesn't grant you visa without any cause.

You need to get accepted for a postdoc position first. Then the institution that has accepted you to that position will then process and submit your visa application.

Zz.

ZapperZ said:
The US Govt. doesn't grant you visa without any cause.
That I know.

ZapperZ said:
You need to get accepted for a postdoc position first. Then the institution that has accepted you to that position will then process and submit your visa application.
I want to know, do US universities sponsor visa for postdoc candidates? It seems yes from your answer.
And are there good chances of US government granting visa to postdoc candidates?

We seem to start going around in circles here, because I've answered your questions already.

Yes, Universities do have postdoc positions. If an institution has offered you a postdoc position, then unless there's something in your background that disqualifies you from getting a visa, you'll usually get one. I'm not sure why you are worried about having "good chances".

Zz.

ZapperZ said:
I'm not sure why you are worried about having "good chances".
That's because till the time I complete PhD in India, I will be married and probably have a kid also. So if I then decide to go for postdoc to US, I'll have to take my wife and child along with me. So I am afraid US government will reject my visa because if not, then they would have to grant 3 visas (one for me, one for my wife and one for my child). Do US government grant 3 visas in such case?

Look, there ARE international students who brought their immediate families along. If whoever is sponsoring you also provide living allowances for your dependents, then there's a good chance all of you could come. But you have to show financial evidence that you can support everyone in your family. A postdoc wage might not do that.

In any case, I don't want to provide such level of detailed information, because this is not something I know well. Besides, the USCIS can reject things with no apparent reasons. Till you try it, you won't know.

Zz.

Okay. Thank you.

ZapperZ said:
But you have to show financial evidence that you can support everyone in your family. A postdoc wage might not do that.

I heard PhD earning is not enough to support family. Now you are saying even postdoc wage might not be enough. Then which wage is enough? Assistant professor? Or Tenured associate professor?
I mean one spends say 5 years in PhD and than say 6 years in postdoc (3 postdoc of 2 years each or 2 postdoc of 3 years each, whatever) and than 5 years assistant professor without tenure and than tenured associate professor. At what stage do physicists earn enough to plan family? (considering they don't choose to go for industrial job).

arpit2agrawal said:
I heard PhD earning is not enough to support family. Now you are saying even postdoc wage might not be enough. Then which wage is enough? Assistant professor? Or Tenured associate professor?
I mean one spends say 5 years in PhD and than say 6 years in postdoc (3 postdoc of 2 years each or 2 postdoc of 3 years each, whatever) and than 5 years assistant professor without tenure and than tenured associate professor. At what stage do physicists earn enough to plan family? (considering they don't choose to go for industrial job).

You need to keep in mind that a "postdoc" is a temporary position.

The salary and benefits for a postdoc position is as varied as there are universities in the US. The amount of money you earn varies tremendously based upon where you work, what region of the country you work, and the research grant that you work under. You are being hired by someone who received research funding, and he/she sets the amount of money they expected to pay for that position.

Zz.

arpit2agrawal said:
At what stage do physicists earn enough to plan family? (considering they don't choose to go for industrial job).
I am curious to know that.

ZapperZ said:

And most post-docs don't end up with research faculty positions. Typically, people get two post-docs of three years. If you are really, really lucky you might get a third, but once you have three post-docs, people will toss your application into the waste bin if you apply for a fourth.

The salary and benefits for a postdoc position is as varied as there are universities in the US.

Yes. However even the best paying post-docs are temporary positions and you'll be looking for work once your contract ends. At the post-doc and junior faculty level, the big problem for family is not so much the income, the problem is the lack of stability.

arpit2agrawal said:
So I am afraid US government will reject my visa because if not, then they would have to grant 3 visas (one for me, one for my wife and one for my child). Do US government grant 3 visas in such case?

If you are a post-doc, you will likely get a J-1 or H-1B visa and your wife and kids will get J-2 or H-4 visas. If you get admitted, then getting a visa is not usually a big issue.

arpit2agrawal said:

It depends on the standard of living. As a Ph.D., you will be making roughly the same amount of money as low level jobs like janitors or garbage men, but janitors and garbage men manage to have families. One other thing that happens in college towns with large number of foreign students is that most of them have "underground economies" in which the people that work in restaurants and ethnic stores are often spouses of graduate students. This is highly illegal, but it happens.

A lot depends on your priorities. My wife and I wanted kids so we had them quickly, and then I changed the rest of my life around my kids. It is *possible* to be a post-doc and the raise a family, but it wasn't possible to get a post-doc and raise a family with the standard of living that I wanted to give my kids, so I got out of the system and jumped to industry. Other people make different (and equally good choices).

One thing that helps Chinese students a lot is that there is a very strong transnational network of people, so Chinese students that want to go into the US for their undergraduate, Ph.D., or post-doc get very good information about the consequences of those choices. I'm pretty sure that something like that exists for your country (India?) so your best source of information are Ph.D.'s that have ended up in the United States.

ZapperZ said:

The salary and benefits for a postdoc position is as varied as there are universities in the US. The amount of money you earn varies tremendously based upon where you work, what region of the country you work, and the research grant that you work under. You are being hired by someone who received research funding, and he/she sets the amount of money they expected to pay for that position.

Zz.

Who is this "someone"? A tenured professor of the university or what? And how much money does he make for himself?

Related to Postdoc in US for a Married Indian Physics PhD Holder: Visa Help & Chances

1. What is the process for obtaining a postdoc position in the US as a married Indian physics PhD holder?

The process for obtaining a postdoc position in the US as a married Indian physics PhD holder typically involves applying for positions at universities or research institutions, securing a visa, and completing any necessary paperwork or interviews. It is important to research specific institutions and their application requirements, as well as any visa requirements or restrictions that may apply.

2. What are the chances of obtaining a postdoc position in the US as a married Indian physics PhD holder?

The chances of obtaining a postdoc position in the US as a married Indian physics PhD holder vary depending on a number of factors, including your qualifications, the availability of positions, and the competitiveness of the field. It is important to network, build relationships, and stay up-to-date on job opportunities in order to increase your chances of success.

3. What type of visa should I apply for as a married Indian physics PhD holder seeking a postdoc position in the US?

As a married Indian physics PhD holder seeking a postdoc position in the US, you will typically need to apply for a J-1 visa, which is a non-immigrant visa for exchange visitors. This visa allows you to participate in a postdoctoral research program for up to five years. It is important to consult with an immigration lawyer or the institution you will be working with to determine the best visa option for your specific situation.

4. Can my spouse and children accompany me to the US while I am completing my postdoc?

In most cases, your spouse and children can accompany you to the US while you are completing your postdoc. However, they will need to apply for their own visas or dependent status, and it is important to carefully review the requirements and limitations of each option. Your institution or an immigration lawyer can provide guidance on this process.

5. What resources are available to help me navigate the process of obtaining a postdoc position in the US as a married Indian physics PhD holder?

There are a variety of resources available to help you navigate the process of obtaining a postdoc position in the US as a married Indian physics PhD holder. These may include career services at your current institution, online job boards and networking sites, professional organizations, and immigration lawyers. It is important to do thorough research and seek support from these resources to increase your chances of success.