Poster presentation general questions

In summary, a student is asking for advice on how to approach a poster presentation on the topic of the Aurora Borealis in a physics class. They are unsure if they should focus on the historical or scientific aspects, and are looking for guidance on how to display the information and results. The speaker suggests sticking to pure science for a physics class, but mentions that a small-scale comparison to myths could be included. They also recommend researching through Google and using government or educational sources with proper referencing. The student expresses gratitude for any additional advice from teachers or others familiar with the topic.
Salerk
In my physics class we have been set to do a poster presentation on anything to do with the Earth or atmosphere that has a physics basis.

Before on presentations It's been on a subject I've researched myself so was able to do the Introduction, method, results, discussion.

Because its a random research subject with 48hours to complete this is not possible, and I've decided to try and do the Aurora Borealis.

My question thus is this:

Without being able to do all the research myself when asked to do a poster presentation, how is it best to display the information and results? Do i take a semi historical view point displaying old superstitions leading into research done and the findings and how its taken from the wonder, or does it need to be more scientific.

Any advice on how to go about would be wonderful and come with many thanks.

Physics news on Phys.org
My grade 7 or 8 public speaking presentation was on the aurora, and in that situation your historical perspective would be great. I wish that I'd thought of it.
For a physics class, though, you'd best stick to pure science. It might not hurt to do a small-scale comparison between reality and aboriginal (or Norse, or whatever) myths, but don't let it get in the way of the facts. There are a lot of teachers in PF who will be glad to tell you what they would expect from a student under your circumstances.
As for the aurora itself, the science is simple on the surface, but you can delve as deeply as you want right down to the quantum mechanical level. While I have never advised anyone to use the Net rather than the library, this might be a job for Google. The information is readily available.

thanks for the reply, I've tryed checking in the libary, but eather we have nothing on the aurora or its just been miss referanced and placed in some area, so while i am useing google far to much I am sticking to places that are gov or edu, and pref with full referencing.

yes. any comments from people whom could say what they would be looking for if they set the topic would be most helpfull.

1. What format should I use for my poster presentation?

The format for a poster presentation can vary depending on the specific guidelines provided by the event or conference. However, a common format is a single, large poster with a title, introduction, methods, results, discussion, and conclusion sections. Make sure to follow any formatting guidelines provided by the event organizers.

2. How should I design my poster to be visually appealing?

To make your poster visually appealing, use a consistent and easy-to-read font, include relevant images or charts, and limit the amount of text to only essential information. You can also use colors and headings to make important information stand out. Remember to keep your design simple and visually appealing to capture the attention of viewers.

3. How much information should I include on my poster?

Your poster should contain enough information to convey your research or project effectively without overwhelming viewers with too much information. Stick to key points and use visual aids to support your main findings. Avoid overcrowding your poster with unnecessary details.

4. How should I prepare for questions during my poster presentation?

It's important to anticipate potential questions and prepare concise and clear answers beforehand. Make sure to fully understand your research or project and be prepared to explain any methods or results. You can also have additional materials, such as handouts or a digital version of your poster, to provide more information if needed.

5. Can I include references on my poster?

Yes, you can include references on your poster to support your findings. However, it's best to keep them brief and use them only if necessary. Make sure to use a consistent and proper referencing format. You can also provide a list of references at the end of your poster for viewers to refer to later.