Potential difference in multi cell circuit

In summary, the conversation is discussing how to find the potential difference between two points in a circuit with multiple cells and capacitors. The suggested approach is to apply Kirchhoff's voltage law (KVL) by considering the voltages at the capacitors, which are related to the charge and capacitance. It is noted that the charges may be equal, but the voltages may not necessarily be the same. The conversation also discusses the application of KVL and clarifies that the voltages referred to are those of the capacitors, not the batteries.
carlyn medona

Homework Statement

Find potential difference between a and b in the figure

Homework Equations

Q=cv

The Attempt at a Solution

can anybody tell me how to apply the equation in this problem with more than one cell
[/B]

Attachments

• 1511677451072290781014.jpg
    1511677451072290781014.jpg
    31.4 KB · Views: 453
Physics news on Phys.org
Assuming that neither the batteries or the capacitors have ohmic resistance:

The capacitors are not exactly in series, however what can u say about the (transient) currents ##I_1## through the left capacitor and the current ##I_2## through the right capacitor? Are they equal? Why? And if they are equal what can you infer for the charges ##Q_1## and ##Q_2## of each capacitor?

carlyn medona said:

Homework Statement

Find potential difference between a and b in the figure

Homework Equations

Q=cv

The Attempt at a Solution

can anybody tell me how to apply the equation in this problem with more than one cell[/B]
Apply KVL which is potential difference in any close loop is zero

So will potential difference between the two capacitors be equal and opposite, and I thought charge through them will be same, not sure, I am not good with multi cell circuits

charges will be the same but voltages not necessarily. Apply KVL in the circuit knowing that the voltages at capacitors are ##\frac{Q}{C_1}## and ##\frac{Q}{C_2}##.

I applied loop rule and got v1+v2=0
Am I doing something wrong

carlyn medona said:
Am I doing something wrong

carlyn medona said:
Am I doing something wrong[/QUOT
Yes you are not applying loop rule properly

Are v1, v2 the voltages of capacitors or of the batteries?

Capacitors

Ok then you are correct. Now replace V1 , V2 with what I said at post 5 and find Q.

But q is same and c is different and v1 +v2 =0 so is q equal to zero, so no charge pass through capacitor and have v1= v2=0

Likes Delta2

Related to Potential difference in multi cell circuit

1. What is potential difference in a multi cell circuit?

Potential difference, also known as voltage, is the measure of electrical potential energy between two points in a circuit. In a multi cell circuit, potential difference refers to the difference in voltage between the positive and negative terminals of each cell.

2. How is potential difference calculated in a multi cell circuit?

Potential difference can be calculated by multiplying the current (in amps) by the resistance (in ohms) in the circuit. In a multi cell circuit, the potential difference is the sum of the individual potential differences in each cell.

3. What affects the potential difference in a multi cell circuit?

The potential difference in a multi cell circuit can be affected by the number of cells connected in series, the individual voltage of each cell, and the resistance in the circuit.

4. What is the purpose of having multiple cells in a circuit?

Having multiple cells in a circuit allows for a higher potential difference to be achieved, which can be useful for powering devices that require a higher voltage. Additionally, multiple cells can provide a backup power source in case one cell fails.

5. How does the potential difference change in a multi cell circuit with varying resistance?

In a multi cell circuit with varying resistance, the potential difference will remain constant if the cells are connected in series. However, if the cells are connected in parallel, the potential difference will decrease as the resistance increases due to the voltage being divided among the different branches of the circuit.