Potential Energy Curve for Ammonia Inversion?

In summary, the conversation is about the speaker's work on a paper about masers for their Quantum II class. They are looking for a graph or data points of the inversion potential energy curve along the Nitrogen inversion axis, which they plan to use to find the partition size. The solution for their model involves finding roots of transcendental equations, and they are wondering about the best numerical calculation function for this task. They plan on using Mathematica and will test the effectiveness of #FindRoot by creating test functions and visually checking the output.
kq6up
For my Quantum II class I am working on a paper about masers. I am using a naive model (a coupled pair of infinite potential wells), and I would like to find out where I can find a graph of the inversion potential energy curve. This would be a simple one dimensional curve of the potential along the Nitrogen inversion axis. If one googles Ammonia maser, a qualitative curve can easily be found, but I have been unsuccessful in finding a graph that actually has data points on it. A set of points would be fine too. My end game is using this data to find the partition size in the middle. I am going to use a potential energy partition for the wells that has a full maximum values but the width set at half the height of the real curve. The solution for my model is the value of the wave number ##k## for a pair of transcendental equations that have a family of roots where n=1,2,3, etc. The ##k##'s can be use to calculate the transition energy between even and odd parity states, and hopefully this energy will be somewhat closely correspond to a 24GHz frequency , and hopeWhat numerical calculation function would be best for finding roots of transcendentals involving trig and hyperbolic trig functions?

Thanks,
KQ6UP

Physics news on Phys.org
kq6up said:
What numerical calculation function would be best for finding roots of transcendentals involving trig and hyperbolic trig functions?
The built-in ones in the programming languague you are using. There is nothing special about transcendentals. If the functions are wiggly you may need several starting points to find all the roots (or even one).

For finding the data go back to early papers on the subject and look at what they used. Or find a reasonably recent paper and write a polite email to its youngest author.

I was planning on just using Mathematica. Is #FindRoot a good one?

Thanks,
KQ6UP

kq6up said:
Is #FindRoot a good one?
You can check by creating some test functions of the kind you will need, plot them, and visually check whether the output of #FindRoot matches your requirements.

Likes kq6up
Perfect, thank you.

KQ6UP

What is a potential energy curve for ammonia inversion?

A potential energy curve for ammonia inversion is a graph that shows the potential energy of ammonia molecules as they undergo inversion, which is a type of molecular motion where the nitrogen atom in ammonia rotates around the central bond axis.

What is the significance of a potential energy curve for ammonia inversion?

A potential energy curve for ammonia inversion is significant because it helps us understand the energy changes that occur during ammonia inversion, which is an important process in chemical reactions and molecular dynamics.

How is a potential energy curve for ammonia inversion calculated?

A potential energy curve for ammonia inversion is typically calculated using quantum mechanical calculations, which take into account the positions and interactions of all the atoms in the ammonia molecule.

What factors affect the shape of a potential energy curve for ammonia inversion?

The shape of a potential energy curve for ammonia inversion is affected by various factors such as temperature, molecular size, and the presence of other molecules that can interact with ammonia.

Can a potential energy curve for ammonia inversion be experimentally measured?

Yes, a potential energy curve for ammonia inversion can be experimentally measured using techniques such as spectroscopy, which can provide information about the energy levels and transitions of ammonia molecules during inversion.