Flow Around a Cylinder with Linear Vortex and Points of Stagnation

In summary, the student is trying to solve a problem involving a complex potential, but does not seem to be getting very far. He is looking for help or hints, but does not know how to proceed.
CptXray

Homework Statement

Find the flow around a cylinder with radius ##a## generated by linear vortex ##\Gamma## in point ##z=b##. Find points of stagnation. Also ##b>a##

Homework Equations

Complex potential of vortex: $$\omega_{vortex} = \frac{\Gamma}{2\pi i}\ln{z}$$
Milne-Thomson circle theorem: $$\omega (z) = f(z) + \overline{f(\frac{a^2}{\overline{z}})}$$

The Attempt at a Solution

Here my ##f(z)## is: $$f(z)=\frac{\Gamma}{2\pi i}\ln{(z - b)}$$
Applying circle theorem: $$\omega (z) = f(z) + \overline{f(\frac{a^2}{\overline{z}})} = ... = \frac{\Gamma}{2\pi i}\bigg( \ln{(z-b)} - \ln{(\frac{a^2}{z} - b)} \bigg)$$
Wich is, I assume, the complex potential with boundary conditions for cylinder. But how am I supposed to find the flow now? I tried rotation of rotation but it's pointless. I'd be really gratful for help or hints.

Physics news on Phys.org
I have little clue of what you are talking about (my ignorance), but if that is a complex potential then the real part of the function is the velocity potential and to find the velocity field you just take the gradient of the potential. Hope it is what you are looking for.

Yes, but the problem is that logarithms are centered in points other than ##z=0## and I'm wondering if I'm trying to do it wrong, because I can't separate real and imaginary terms in order to get ##\Phi## - velocity potential and ##\Psi## - stream function,

What is the concept of flow around a cylinder with linear vortex and points of stagnation?

The concept of flow around a cylinder with linear vortex and points of stagnation is a fundamental principle in fluid dynamics. It involves the study of the movement of fluid particles around a cylinder, where a linear vortex is generated due to the difference in fluid velocities on either side of the cylinder. This results in the formation of points of stagnation, where the fluid velocity is zero.

How does a linear vortex affect the flow around a cylinder?

A linear vortex creates a region of low pressure on one side of the cylinder and a region of high pressure on the other side. This pressure difference causes the fluid to flow around the cylinder, resulting in a circulation pattern known as the Kármán vortex street. This phenomenon is responsible for the drag and lift forces experienced by objects moving through a fluid.

What are points of stagnation and how do they form?

Points of stagnation are locations where the fluid velocity is zero. In the case of flow around a cylinder with a linear vortex, these points are formed due to the convergence of fluid particles from both sides of the cylinder. The fluid particles lose their kinetic energy as they converge, resulting in zero velocity at these points.

What factors affect the flow around a cylinder with linear vortex and points of stagnation?

The flow around a cylinder with linear vortex and points of stagnation is affected by various factors such as the velocity and viscosity of the fluid, the size and shape of the cylinder, and the angle of attack of the fluid flow. These factors influence the strength and location of the linear vortex and the formation of points of stagnation.

What are the practical applications of studying flow around a cylinder with linear vortex and points of stagnation?

The study of flow around a cylinder with linear vortex and points of stagnation has many practical applications in engineering and science. It can help in the design of aerodynamic structures, such as airplane wings and wind turbines, and in understanding the behavior of fluids in various natural and industrial processes, such as ocean currents and chemical reactions. It also has applications in the development of new technologies, such as flow control and drag reduction methods.