Potential of Brownian particle

In summary, the conversation revolves around the characterization of the potential in a general model for Brownian motion, specifically in terms of the Langevin equation. Different opinions are shared and sources are referenced, but the main focus is on finding a way to generalize the equation of motion for a particle in Brownian motion.
Steve Zissou
Hello physicians.
Consider the following Brownian motion particle:
[tex] \dot{x}(t)=\alpha(t)+\beta(t)\eta(t) [/tex]
The kinetic energy of which would be
[tex] \frac{1}{2}v^2=\frac{1}{2}(\dot{x}(t))^2 [/tex]
(for some unit mass.)
The potential is...?

Physics news on Phys.org
Steve Zissou said:
Hello physicians.

In-case you're trying to refer to people who study physics, they're called 'physicists'. A 'Physician' is a professional who practices medicine.

Steve Zissou said:
Consider the following Brownian motion particle:
The kinetic energy of which would be
[tex] \frac{1}{2}v^2=\frac{1}{2}(\dot{x}(t))^2 [/tex]
(for some unit mass.)
The potential is...?

Please be more elaborate. I have not studied brownian motion in depth but I can surely say that

can also be written as
[tex] \dot{x}(t) = \gamma(t) [/tex]
where [tex] \gamma(t) = \alpha(t)+\beta(t)\eta(t) [/tex]
And brownian particles can be found in a variety of time dependent as well as independent potentials. And usually, the potential is a function of the position variables alone( In this case, 'x'. So, it might help if you could provide a relationship between, say, the force and position variables.

Sudu. Get a grip. I know what a physician is, and what a physicist is. It's what we call "humor."
Secondly, the way I've written it is the correct way to write it. There is a huge weight of convention and tradition here, and I'm hoping someone who understands that will help me out.

Steve Zissou said:
It's what we call "humor."
No, we don't. And as far as I remember, this is not a forum where ideas of humor are discussed. You might very well have been a person who makes the common mistake. I don't need to "get a grip".
Peace out.
Steve Zissou said:
Secondly, the way I've written it is the correct way to write it. There is a huge weight of convention and tradition here, and I'm hoping someone who understands that will help me out.
Can you cite a source? I searched extensively and nowhere did I find this convention.

Ok I'll try again. Hopefully this will clarify.
Consider the well-known Langevin equation of a particle in Brownian motion.
Here is a reference:
http://www.mat.univie.ac.at/~esiprpr/esi2115.pdf
In the attached paper, the Langevin equation is written as:
[tex]\frac{\partial p_i}{\partial t}=-\gamma_0 p_i-\frac{\partial U}{\partial q_i}+\eta_i [/tex]
.where the gamma is a friction term and the U is potential.
I would like to characterize a more general model. Let's say it like this:
[tex]\dot{x}(t)=\alpha(t)+\beta(t)\eta(t)[/tex]
If we would like to, we are free to simply say
[tex]\dot{x}(t)=\alpha(t)+\eta(t)[/tex].
Now, how would we characterize the potential here in my generalization? Thanks to all who would help.

You have an equation for the derivative of position (velocity), whereas the Langevin equationis for the derivative of momentum, which is equal to a force.

It's probably best to try to start with the langevin equation itself and try to vary that. The friction gamma could be a function of the velocity, for example, or the potential could vary with time (such as when you shake the fluid that the particle is in), and you'll have no problem with the potential, because you can just copy the term with U.

of course you could also use a force that is dependent of the position (or possibly constant) and do away with the potential.

Willem, thanks for the reply. Yes I am aware that there are important issues regarding the units of measure involved. I am aware that a force can be the grad of potential.

Let me try to clarify my question. There are many possible models for Brownian motion, not just Langevin. Also the Langevin equation need not be written in terms of momenta, it can be written in terms of distance formt he origin, &c. I am trying to get toward a generalization. Let's say we have an "equation of motion" for a particle under Brownian motion. We'll express it as:

whatever you like = a(t) + eta(t)

How would you characterize the potential acting on this particle?

Related to Potential of Brownian particle

What is Brownian motion?

Brownian motion is the random movement of particles suspended in a fluid due to collisions with other particles in the fluid. This phenomenon was first observed by the scientist Robert Brown in the early 19th century.

How does Brownian motion relate to the potential of a particle?

The potential of a Brownian particle refers to the energy that is associated with the random motion of the particle. This potential can be calculated using statistical mechanics and is influenced by factors such as temperature and the properties of the fluid.

What is the significance of studying the potential of Brownian particles?

Studying the potential of Brownian particles can provide insights into the behavior and properties of fluids at a microscopic level. It has applications in various fields such as material science, biology, and pharmaceuticals.

How is the potential of a Brownian particle affected by temperature?

The potential of a Brownian particle is directly proportional to the temperature of the fluid. As temperature increases, the particles have more kinetic energy and therefore experience a higher potential.

Can the potential of Brownian particles be manipulated in any way?

Yes, the potential of Brownian particles can be manipulated by changing the temperature, viscosity of the fluid, or the properties of the particles themselves. This can have implications for controlling the movement and behavior of particles in various applications.